• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

something wrong with my truck?

watch as my truck starts and kicks in high idle, then 3 cylinder, the 3 cyl almost stalls my truck, so it kicks off, then 6 cyl come back and then after about 2 min 3 cyl does and stays from that point.

is all ok in the video? or somthin wrong with my truck?

Hmm, never seen that before. I wonder if its still too cold to the point that the 3 that are firing do not produce enough energy to overcome everything to keep it running.

So when it goes back into 3 cyl high does it try to stall again or does it work?

• Owner

Ummm... No that's not normal.

Any enhancement boxes, programmers or both used? Excessive timing is that hard knock as the engine switched over to 3 cylinder mode and the cold intake the timing advanced hard. I also noticed you had a un-even idling speed even on normal idle I would like to ask what injectors you have and have they been pop tested?

injectors i have no idea. maybe stock. i haven't torn into the head to see. not pop tested. i have an edge comp set to 3. smarty was used to enable the hi idle, but has been removed. (for sale soon) sounded like the truck was loading up to me also. im waiting for another -9 night and i'll try it again. the truck said 5 deg my indoor out door said -9

2 min later when the cycle repeated all was fine.

if i do need injectors where should i hunt? DAP? its stock turbo with turn buckle. i really don't hot rod it but it's fun sometimes :-D

Edited by Killer223

• Owner

There is only 2 thing to make a diesel engine fire. Compression and fuel. So if the compression is weak or the fuel spray is poor then the poor performance will be noted at cold operation. It actually a 56K ohm resistor is what I use. But anything between 56k ohm and 100k ohm will trigger it. But the biggest thing I keep think about is the serve timing rattle. :wow:

well that's been the only time it's done that, all other time 3 cyl worked fine., i'm thinking i have injector issues. my mileage has dropped off too. i used to get 18-20 mpg on a regular basis, now i'm in the 15-16 range, i'm going to look into some but not really sure what to get, to many options and i do not know what is best.

I would get ahold of a proper resistor and see if it does it again. Note the ambient air temperature as well. Because if you fool the truck to thinking its colder than it really is, and nothing happens, then maybe my theory is correct... Its probably a long shot, but heck, don't start looking at pulling trigger on injectors, etc. quit yet until you know for sure.

• Like 1

i tried the resistor, and all worked fine. but the outside air was in the 30's today, not -9. truck seems to be running GREAT, so i'm not going to worry till it leave me on the side of the road. my FP is great, i use 2 stroke oil, i change oil every 5K. we'll just have to wiat n see.

Thank you to all who responded.

P.s. mike i'm not getting emails from the responses anymore, or am i missing someting.?

• Owner

P.s. mike i'm not getting emails from the responses anymore, or am i missing someting.?

You have to set it up all over again and start marking your threads you want notices for. Sorry to say the two softwares are not compatible for notifications.

i change oil every 5K

I think you might want to extend your oil changes. In the owners manual its 7,500 miles for oil change. I'm changing at 10,000 miles. Might save you some money to change at specified intervals...

Hey Thanks Mike, i'll look into getting those set up again.

As for the oil changes. i tow alot and travel dirt roads on a regular basis, so i thought 5,00 was sufficient, i might try extending them to 7500 and see how the oil is at that point. thanks.