• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

FASS DDRP: Why not????

Update: Installed new DiPricol mechanical fuel pressure gauge. Isolator is not here yet, so ran the tube from new banjo bolt (the one that had the shreader valve) directly to the gauge (after bleeding the line first). No leaks so far (that's the only good news). Bad news is that the stock carter lift pump is only making 8 p.s.i. @ idle. Under load (and I mean just pulling up an incline of not much) it dropped to 4 p.s.i. Well boys and girls, there ain't no warm and fuzzy feeling with that kind of pressure. I put her back in the shop and she will stay there until the new lift pump is installed. By the way, that was (banjo bolt with the shreader valve) the correct place to tap in the gauge, is it not? Thanks......Hood Latch

Is the fuel filter a new filter? A restricted fuel filter can cause low pressure like this.

Is the fuel filter a new filter? A restricted fuel filter can cause low pressure like this.

Live Oak, No, it is not new. I must of had a brain fart or something cause I did'nt think of that, whew!!! I have new filters here, I'll give that a try next. Thanks for the reminder. Hood Latch

I think you got it all hooked up correctly. From what I can dig up searching and looking at pictures and all anyways lol. If it's hooked into #1 thats the supply line so that would be right. Posted Image Yeah that pressure doesn't inspire me either :lol3:

I have mine hooked into the banjo at the return/outlet fitting of the VP44, should I maybe move it upstream to #1?

You can see it just below the sticker on the VP44.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=439&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1263600058

Edited by flman

I didn't think you could get a pressure reading from a fuel line going back to the tank. I would most definitely move it to #1. If your getting normal pressure readings then maybe there is something I don't know about these things and their return system. Wait for someone else to confirm it..

14 PSI after cold fuel gets flowing for a few minutes, and 11 to 10 at WOT. I probably could have went with the 150 pump, but I read all kinds info here that too much fuel flow will make the fuel heat up. Any ways, after a hard run the VP44 pump body and computer on top is cool to the touch, not even luke warm. So I am probably just fine. Also, I do have that inaccurate isolator in the line ;)

I bet money on the isolator is screwing up the reading I bet if you made a temporary connection directly you'll find a whole different set of numbers...

One day, I might just do that, but I wont obsess over it, by the time spring time comes, I am sure the gauge will start reading a higher number, once the fuel in the gauge line and isolator warms up.

Finally made my choices for now, and here's how it went. My project proceeded as follows: 1st. I installed a new DiPricol mechanical fuel pressure gauge, and ran the line directly from the vp44 to the gauge without any device (snubber, needle valve, isolator, etc.) in between. I did this because I wanted p.s.i. readings from the stock carter lift pump and then the FASS DDRP lift pump without any interference from any inline device. 2nd. I installed a new FASS DDRP lift pump in the stock location on the side of the block. 3rd. I installed a new Baldwin fuel filter. 4th. I installed a new barrel type fuel pressure isolator between the vp44 and the gauge. I started and drove the truck after each step of the project, and recorded the p.s.i. readings on the new gauge. (1) Stock Carter lift pump --------------------------------------- 8 1/2 p.s.i. @ idle ----- 3 p.s.i. @ w.o.t. (2) New FASS DDRP ---------------------------------------------20 1/2 p.s.i. @ idle ----- 11 p.s.i. @ w.o.t. (3) Then install new Baldwin fuel filter ------------------------------ 22 p.s.i. @ idle ----- 13 p.s.i. @ w.o.t. (4) Last step: Install new barrel type fuel pressure isolator between vp44 and the gauge --------------- 20 1/2 p.s.i. @ idle ----- 12 p.s.i. @ w.o.t. (5) Interstate driving: 65m.p.h. @ 1750 r.p.m. with cruise control activated ------------------------------ 15 p.s.i. --to-- 17 1/2 p.s.i (6) Normal around the county type of driving ----------------------------------------------------------------- 14 p.s.i. --to-- 20 1/2 p.s.i. No doubt, the 10 p.s.i or so spread between idle and w.o.t. could possibly be contributed to the FASS DDRP being only a 40 g.p.h. pump, and the size of the stock fuel lines. Did I prove anyone right or wrong here? No, not at all. That was never my intention. I know far to little about this particular subject to try and prove anything. Do I think that I have found an adequate answer to my particular needs for my stock motor? Yes, I think so. Only time will tell, and if I have been wrong about my choice, I will say so and report it as such. Either way, I will have no one to blame nor praise, but myself. Thanks again, to all who have participated on this subject. Your time and attention is appreciated........ Hood Latch

Edited by Hood Latch

your still above 10 psi at all times!:thumbsup::thumbsup: so you have already help your vp44, compared to leaving that crappy carter pump. you are using the stock lines?

Yes, I am using the stock plumbing. As I indicated, the FASS DDRP was installed @ the stock location on the side of the block.

Well that explains why the large pressure loss because of the DDRP volume limits plus the volume limits of the fuel lines and banjos. Still only seeing about 2 PSI fall from 17 @ idle and 15 @ WOT... So this points out the limitation of the plumbing and pump...

Mike: Yes, I agree. While I have no way of proving it @ this point, I too am thinking that it has to do with g.p.h. limitations of this pump and the somewhat restrictive size of the stock plumbing. As you, and others have pointed out before: Dodge/Cummins seems to have short cutted the fuel delivery systems on the 2nd. Gen's. As I have stated: If I ever think this pump is not providing what I need for my situation, or if I ever decide to do any horsepower upgrades, I will most certainly go to a higher g.p.h. pusher pump down next to the tank with big lines all the way to the vp44. Hood Latch