• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Loseing Prime, Longer cranking

My truck usually fires right up '99 4x4. 160k miles

It started cranking longer a while back, but if I turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds for the lift pump to start it will fire right up

I thought it was the fuel filter heater grommet Oring(stock fuel filter). slight seegage

Well I finally resealed the grommet. But I still get long cranking if I jump right in and try and start,  unless Im patient and wait a few seconds for the lift pump to run then it starts right up.

Went over the whole truck fuel fittings checking for leak/seepage, top fuel tank etc. Everything looks clean and no sign of leaks

Truck is stock, has all gauges, fuel press, boost, trans temp,turbo temp. Farely new vp44, got a good 13 psi lift pump pressure newer stock cummins lift pump, Have a 3/8 fuel lines with all JIC fittings, no banjos

Any ideas why it where I might be loseing prime?

Another question when first turn ignition to 'on', (not start) how long should it take for the lift pump to start ? Mine takes a couple seconds to run after I turn ign on.

thanks Rick

Edited by GSP7

I always leave my filler cap loose........................

Right now im stumped on what is causeing it to not fire right up and longer cranking.

Its been doing it for awhile now. Thought it was the fuel heat grommet Oring. Finally fixed that. Now im on a mission to figure out whats the cause is .....

I pretty much baby this truck no obuse, nice, clean western U.S. truck

Edited by GSP7

Is your wait to start light delayed also? 

I just went out and checked that. Turned key to 'on' , took about 2-3 seconds for the wait to start light to turn on and lift pump started at the same time.

Soon as the I hear the lift pump go on I can crank it and it fires right up , with minimal crank

Is the lift pump supposed to immediately go on when you turn the key to on?  Or is there a 2,3,4...second delay?

It should prime when the key is turned on with no delay. This is apparently an ECM issue from everything I have read. The ECM is not booting up properly.

What would cause the ECM not booting proberly?

Should I clean my battery connections?

• Owner

What would cause the ECM not booting proberly?

Should I clean my battery connections?

Typically what kills ECM is AC noise from the alternator. (Watch the video below in the link)

As for the delay in the wait to start as the ECM has trouble getting booted up from memory errors its still brain dead so just twisting to start and trying to start without a booted ECM is going to do absolutely nothing. Kind of like pressing power switch on your PC and grabbing the mouse in hopes to fire up internet before for it boots up. Just not going to happen. So for here on out you need to wait for the wait to start light to pop on then you can start.

Suggestion is check the alternator and consider replacing the ECM soon.

If you want to test the ECM just swap it with a friends truck if the problem swap to his truck the ECM is failing.

• Like 1

Your lift pump should not activate until you bump the starter. That is not normal operation. Between that and the delayed wait to start light something is amiss. Find a good code reader and have your truck scanned for any codes.

The lift pump should prime briefly(up to 1 or 2 seconds) upon turning the key to the on position. It should run continuously for near 25 seconds when you bump the starter. Getting the codes read is a good idea also.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

PS  Just shopping for ECMs ,,,,Looks like Rock Auto has them

$244.79 + core $90.00  total $334.79

Not sure about it

Last time I heard about RockAuto ECM's they take your ECM and attempt to rebuild the ECM so it might be awhile for the turn around. Call them first and check it out before doing anything.

• Like 1

my  son's  dodge stealth needed  a  new  ECM... I  found   Global  Solutions out of Rogersville  Tennessee   I sent them  the  bad  ecm along  with a pretty formal order form.   Just  for giggles,  I scribbled a goofy picture  on the  case,  just to see if  I got my original back.

I did.

It  cost me   189 bucks, ( I  did it through  ebay)  and  saved  about 10 bucks over  doing it  directly through  the  front office.

When  I  hit  'buy it now', I  was  given  a link  for shipping instructions,  a  shipping  label,  and  a  detailed  order form.   It  was less than a week  to get it back, I think 6  shipping days  both way! along  with a  lifetime  warrantee.

If  I  need another one  for any of my  vehicles, I'd probably  use them again.

Ok,  I just went there (ebay)  and didn't see  one listed  for our  cummins  applications, but you might want to  check out their website to  verify.  autoecu.com    looks like they also  do dashes  and  radios too.

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1

The lift pump should prime briefly(up to 1 or 2 seconds) upon turning the key to the on position. It should run continuously for near 25 seconds when you bump the starter. Getting the codes read is a good idea also.

Interesting, both my 98 and my former 00, both which I bought with the OEM block mounted Carter pumps, did not do that. If I turned the key forward I could hear the electric motor bump very briefly, but never long enough to even move my manual fuel pressure gauge. I never timed it but it was definitely less than a second all together. Either way, what the OP was describing is still not right. Edited by diesel4life

Interesting, both my 98 and my former 00, both which I bought with the OEM block mounted Carter pumps, did not do that. If I turned the key forward I could hear the electric motor bump very briefly, but never long enough to even move my manual fuel pressure gauge. I never timed it but it was definitely less than a second all together. Either way, what the OP was describing is still not right.

That is what I am describing at key on.  Mine only does it for a split second also, but it does move my gauge.  I have heard others say up to 2 seconds and thats why I included it. I also agree that what the op is experiencing is not right. I just took your post to mean nothing should happen at key on. Did not mean to step on your toes.

PS  Just shopping for ECMs ,,,,Looks like Rock Auto has them

$244.79 + core $90.00  total $334.79

Not sure about it

I have also heard that their's is the PCM and not the ECM. even though it is described as the ECM. A quick phone call would clear that up.

• Like 1