• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help battery acid!!!

those style clamps are what i used on my ranger and honda.... but the "pit" where the wire fits looks like it is to small. i think my cable on the dodge might be 0gauge or even 00....i guess i need to do some shopping :( has anyone ever take those factory terminal clamps off the wire? it looks like the wire is pressed into the clamp. the negative on my drivers side is so jacked it won't get tight around the post http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=457

Get a very thin file (1/8" thick), take the negative terminal off and loosen the bolt or take the bolt out, pry the middle out a little bit and file it down so you can tighten it down more.. The two faces of the terminal that meet (that I'm pointing too) are what you have to file down, you will have to take the bolt out and get pliers on either side to pull it apart and get just enough room for the file to get in there, then file it down a little bit.

post-45-138698163198_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISX

• Owner

Geez... Get some engine oil on those cables... Even mine don't have rust or corrosion on them at all... Look like you been getting carried away with terminal cleaner and over tightening. so if you remove the terminal and clean it will and coat it will engine oil and re-assemble but just snug the terminal you'll never worry about it again. Just remember if you wash the engine bay to recoat the terminals with engine oil.

Geez... Get some engine oil on those cables... Even mine don't have rust or corrosion on them at all... Look like you been getting carried away with terminal cleaner and over tightening. so if you remove the terminal and clean it will and coat it will engine oil and re-assemble but just snug the terminal you'll never worry about it again. Just remember if you wash the engine bay to recoat the terminals with engine oil.

that is a trick i never knew...i had never touched those clamps until i put those batteries in...some times you inherit someone else's mess. but then i'm still shaking the motto: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". preventative maintenance is a much better motto. the negative in that pic is loose enough to wiggle off the post...and i can't get it much tighter because i can't get a good bite on the nut.

Take the negative terminal off so you can get a good bite with vise grips or anything and just replace the bolt and nuts. I swear battery's have a way of softening the metal in those nuts which is why they strip so easily. Hmm, I have a crazy idea that would fix all those grip problems for good. Have to try it when I get home.What in the hell is going on with the positive terminal? You got nuts on both ends :lol3:

Edited by ISX

Hey folks, for what it's worth to you, I have been using plain old wood workers Orange Shellac on battery terminals (after cleaned with warm baking soda and water, then blow dried) for a lot of years. Learned it from an old diesel mechanic when I was a kid. It has always worked well for me, and will take a fair number of engine bay washings before having to be touched up. I brush it on real good and all down and around, and under the terminal, let it dry, and then look for any spots I may have missed. I use those little disposable acid brushes to put it on with. You can't miss any spots, or corrosion will show up. My 2-cents ...............Hood Latch

• Owner

Valid idea... But comes up short though... Everytime you use jumper cables your eatting holes in the shellac and opening up fo new corrosion. So you would have to remember to coat the terminals again... The idea of the terminal coating in the spray can is basically colored grease. Around here jump cable are used a lot bailing people out.

Valid idea... But comes up short though... Everytime you use jumper cables your eatting holes in the shellac and opening up fo new corrosion. So you would have to remember to coat the terminals again... The idea of the terminal coating in the spray can is basically colored grease. Around here jump cable are used a lot bailing people out.

This is true; whenever you use jumpers, you have to twist thru the shellac and then when finished, touch it up. But, it has always worked well and I don't mind the touch up. However, I see your point. If you are jump starting a lot of other folk's vehicles, this may not work for you.