• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front/rear Axle Lube

• Owner

Personally I don't see any reason for synthetics lubes but use standard 80w-90 GL-5 gear lube for my standard open differential axles. If you have a Limited Slip then you have to consider lube with the friction modifier or get buy the friction modifier separately. Being that petroleum lubes have done a excellent job up to 224k miles and no failures and excellent MPG's (Highmark at 27.2 MPG last summer).

I used RTV sealant, I think Great Stuff. The darn stuff was so sticky when I placed the cover in position it stayed there when I had to let go of it momentarily. It actually dd not move for about 45 seconds, just got tired of waiting for to move. Mike tells me the stuff I used will be a PTA to remove when I change it again, I guess time will tell. Any good sealant should do the job though. Be sure and clean the old sealant off completely. A razor blade and a scotch brite work very well.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

I normally use just plain old clear silicone in a caulking gun. (RTV) stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization...

RTV Silicone (Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone) is a type of silicone rubber made from a two-component system (base plus curative; A+B) available in a hardness range of very soft to medium - usually from 15 Shore A to 40 Shore. RTV Silicones can be cured with either a platinum catalyst or a tin catalyst. Applications include low temperature overmolding, making molds for reproducing, and some optically clear grades have lens applications.

Gaskets are available for a few bucks if you ask for them, a little less messy compared to silicone but either will work. I use synthetic in the rear as the higher 3.54 gears tend to generate alot of heat in the hot summer months when towing. Its pretty much standard on all new OEM vehicles.

Personally I don't see any reason for synthetics lubes but use standard 80w-90 GL-5 gear lube for my standard open differential axles. If you have a Limited Slip then you have to consider lube with the friction modifier or get buy the friction modifier separately. Being that petroleum lubes have done a excellent job up to 224k miles and no failures and excellent MPG's (Highmark at 27.2 MPG last summer).

If you are in extreme cold you will see a huge difference. A guy I know had the same truck as me (F-150 4wd 4spd) and was parked on a slight hill. I parked next to him and we both left at the same time a couple of hours later. I pushed the clutch in and my truck did not move. His truck rolled just as soon as he pushed the clutch in. He had synthetic through out and I didn't. The cold flow capabilities and higher heat tolerances make synthetic better in my book.

• Like 2

When I go from driving forward to coasting I can feel a bit of a lag on a big hill at hiway speeds. Is this a sign of wear in the rear axle gears? I realize that changing fluid won't solve that. And with one rear wheel on the ground, there is a bit if slop being able to turn the lifted wheel back and forth a bit.

Edited by joecool911

I honestly cant think of one drawback to synthetic diff oil including cost when looking at the big picture. Some synthetic oil manufacturers recomend up to 100k mile service intervals compared to 30k intervals of the traditional mineral oils. They also offer more protection at both ends of the temperature range and will not break down as quickly (hence the extended intervals) Most if not all passenger vehicles these days factory fill with synthetic and is considered a "lifetime fill", meaning the oil is fine until service of the gear sets or seal replacement is needed (or contamination is suspected). Essentially all of the service intervals in the service manuals of our trucks are based off of the oils capabilities at the time. Oils are much more advanced these days and there is really no reason to not take advantage of them and enjoy the added protection and extended service intervals.

Edited by diesel4life