• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need Help Asap With Airdog

Allowing too much current to flow through could end up melting the wires that supply power to the pump. If it keeps burning out the fuse rated for it there is either a short somewhere in wiring, or the motor on the pump is bad.

Double check your ground to make sure it's tight and corrosion free. If it pops the fuse again I would pull the round cover off and have a look at the gears to make sure nothing is caught in there, though I'm pretty sure it would pop right away again if there was. The motor is easy to pull, 4 long screws and it's off. If the pump is not warrantied I would pull the motor just to have a look and make sure nothing is out of place. Could be something as simple as a cheap seal allowing fuel past the shaft. Worst case scenario they do sell motors individually so you will not have to replace the entire pump.

Edited by diesel4life

• Owner

could i just swap the fuse for a 30 amp or so?

Should never increase fuse size to over come a problem this will result most likely either in melted wires or a possible vehicle fire. If the fuse is blowing out there must be something causing a over-current condition. Pinched wires to ground, locked rotor in the fuel pump, internal issues to the pump motor. Etc.

Should always use the same size fuse or smaller. This way you never end up with a vehicle fire or mess of melted wires.

so could it just be a 1 time occurrence of it blowing the fuse? im going to drive it until it decides to let go again.

anyone thats had this problem, how long did it take for the fuse to blow again after the first time? 

If the fuel has gotten into the pump I would imagine the fuse would probably blow almost right after you turn the key on. If there was some debris in there it may be able to pass through the pump before it pops the fuse again.

When I bought my AD, I got this less than desirable design spoken of. About 6-9 months in after install, it happened to me. Fuse blew and blew a fuse everytime I tried to replace it. Took 2 fuses to figure out something was really wrong. Towed it home and called AD. Bad motor! They sent over a new one free of charge since I had warranty. Took the old one apart and the seal to the motor was non-existant. Diesel in it everywhere...

hey all,   did  AD  ever  admit/confess  to the  batch of   poor  motors?   (they alone  should know of  exact  serial number  of  where it  went south!)  And of course,   when  they   'fixed' it.     (they DID  fix it didn't they?)

Ltk,  you said  you swapped  in  a higher fuse.... so    DID IT WORK???

I sent in  my warranty card. When mine was leaking everywhere, they told me it was registered to someone named Brian. I had to all Thoroughbred & have them Email the recipt. Took a week to get my replaement & it has wildly varying pressures. They cannot & will not send out noties if the database is all wrong. Such a joke....

Ed

For the price of a motor compared to another pump of similar capabilities I would personally stick with what you got. It would be interesting to know the percentage of pumps that actually did fail early. We always hear of the ones that do but how many are there out there giving years of trouble free service that you don't hear about...The majority (not all) of the failures were the lower end Raptor pumps. I had one of them as well for some time, started leaking fuel internally, and it was replaced no questions asked. They did not require that I send in the old pump and had a new one on my doorstep within 3 - 4 days. My experience with their customer service has been positive. If you choose to go that route filling the warranty card out and sending it in promptly is very important.

It may be in that range, but not be failure prone. It will start with the Liberty module, 10 Mic ABSOLUTE centrifugal filtering/aquablock/water seperation, WIF & heater in the 1st filter, pump, then 3 Micron ABSOLUTE filtering with aquablock, all hoses, harnesses & fittings. Also, it will have a true rating, not one that states a flow that the filters could never handle. Yes, it will be pricey, but premium. You will not be getting towed home because of cutting corners You won't be replacing the pump every 6 months to a year & hurting the VP each time.

It will be desireable to some & not to others. It will be speced out to truly handle any HP rating that a stock VP44 pump can handle.

Ed

Edited by Yankneck696
  • Like 1