• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 Stroke and the Common Rail

dorkweed

I've noticed that Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 stinks a whole lot more than the WallyWorld SuperTech I used to run.:thumbup2: I do have a bit of weepage on my MotorGuard, so I'm sure that helps the smell though. Just need a new O-ring for the MG. I usually replace them when they start to leak.................usually 8-12 or so months. The rubber gets hard and compresses over time.JMHO here; but ULSD with 2 stroke added smells a lot more like LSD did.:smart:

I agree that since I'm not using 2cyl oil yet it's not causing the smell. I am however running Rotella in her car, but never noticed the smell before. It seems that since going to ULSD, I smell more and more vehicals on the interstate that smell like they are burning oil. Now that I think about it, I did read where the refiners are putting oil back into the ULSD because of lubricity issues. Just remembered that as I was typing.

I have not heard about the refiners putting oil in for lub. :wow:

I'm still running 1 oz / gal WalMart 2 cycle oil... I don't run the tank way down & refill 1 qt TCW3 bottles to the correct level for a typical fill. Even the wife can add it. I picked up about 1 mpg which is pretty good since I was already feathering the go pedal (mostly). My VP44 survived a lift pump wiring fault... might be because of the lube!

I have not heard about the refiners putting oil in for lub. :wow:

I don't remember where I read it. And it may well be something besides oil, but the jist was that the older fuel pumps needed the extra additive to survive.

• Owner

I have been running a combination of 8-10 oz of dieselklean with a 16 oz bottle of Walmart 2 stroke for a year or so. Feels a little better but it might also be the Smarty Jr. helping out. :thumbup2:

Actually I suggest against mixing products! :duh:

DieselKleen is a solvent based injector cleaner and cetane booster. Then 2 cycle oil is a lubricant and cetane reducer. So you just neturalizing out the 2 products and coming out empty handed. :rolleyes:

Power Service Diesel Kleen scored very poorly in the HFRR test at 575 HFRR (only +60 gain). But 2 cycle oil socre really good at 474 HFRR (+162 Gain).

Posted Image

Now take a sample of the PowerService and leave it out exposed to the air for a few day and tell me what you get? Do the same with 2 cycle oil and compare. The results will shock you! :smart:

• Like 1

So mixing is bad. Alright I will stop that. Then what should I do to help demulsify the possible water in my fuel. I run a FASS 95 with a Baldwin F/W sep and a Donaldson 4 Mic filter with W/S already. These were told to me by AH as some of the best filters for my FASS. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5dm0hp 2003 Ram with gauges and a Smarty! Not much more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So mixing is bad. Alright I will stop that. Then what should I do to help demulsify the possible water in my fuel. I run a FASS 95 with a Baldwin F/W sep and a Donaldson 4 Mic filter with W/S already. These were told to me by AH as some of the best filters for my FASS. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5dm0hp 2003 Ram with gauges and a Smarty! Not much more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy your fuel from a place that sells and goes thru a fair bit of diesel; IMHO, you should never have a problem with water in your fuel. However; if you don't drive your truck a lot, you have a greater risk of "water in fuel" from condensation in the fuel tank. And then what AH64ID told you is correct!!

• Owner

In 10 years of owning my Cummins I've only seen the WIF light once... I use to check and drain the water seperator all the time but now I only check it at oil change time... Might find 1/4 ounce a water every 10K miles... But I'm really picky of the the places I purchase fuel from and also get to know the fuel station owner really well. I find out what filters he's using on the pumps, is he re-addizing the fuel (winterizied), how often he changes filters etc.

Water is very low priorty compared to lubricity... :smart:

You got to remember Dorkweed here is the man that started the 2 cycle oil craze... I'm the one that backed him up and kicked it home... :wink:

I always buy fuel from one or two areas here in town. One a truck stop and the other Wally world. Both sell pretty good quantities of diesel. Wally world actually has b20 diesel now. I actually saw the truck stop switching their filters out to Baldwins. When out of town I try to only hit truck stops since they sell a lot of fuel. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?denrbn 2003 Ram with gauges and a Smarty! Not much more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got to remember Dorkweed here is the man that started the 2 cycle oil craze... I'm the one that backed him up and kicked it home... :wink:

Thanks for the plug Michael; but I surely didn't "start" the 2 stroke thing at all. I first read about it on another forum as a substitute for PS+MMO as an additive.............that I was using at the time!!!!! Pretty scary what we know now..........right!!???? All I did was post a thread on a so-called forum...............loosely worded..............and it took off. Even though the powers that be on that site tried to kill it........numerous times!!! The truth is fine as long as it doesn't contradict your advertisers!!! How many VP's, CP3's, injectors and engines have been blow up from those "groupies" that hang there???
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Here is another question, how about 2 stroke a mix of B20 or less diesel fuel? Is this bad or good? --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1qmerj 2003 Ram with gauges and a Smarty! Not much more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not required... B2 has more lubricity that 2 cycle oil... So if you got a choice I would try B2... Problem is B2 fuels have less BTU's than normal diesel so MPG number might fall. Petroluem diesel typically has better MPG value but lubricity is lower. Trade off time... :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

There is no reason for injector cleaners... If there is a concern of dirt entering the injecotrs that upgrade your fuel filter to 2-3 microns once you done that there is zero concerns for injector cleaners ever again.

But as for the fuel lubricant... Today's fuel is short in fuel lubicity and will remain that way for a long time. So 2 cycle oil should be used every tank...

Mixing any cetane booster, injector cleaner, or anti-gel with 2 cycle oil just cancels out the 2 cycle and the additive...

Cetane Booster - Increase cetane levels and reduces BTU's

2 Cycle Oil - Decreases Cetane and increase BTU's

Injector Cleaner - Decrease lubricity

2 Cycle Oil - Increases lubricity

Interesting subject... I have been buying the Howes "conditioner anti gel" for about $ 20 bucks a pop for a half gallon. Howes claims that it is a lubricant conditioner??

I think I am going to give a two stroke a try:2cents:

• Owner

Simple test... If you leave a sample of fuel additive expose to the air and it changes amount (evaporates) then its not a true lubricant. Leave 2 cycle oil or engine oil expose to the air that amount will never change. I know if you leave power service exposed it turns to a tar like substance very sticky... Not a lubricant...:whistle2:

• Owner

Oh well... :shrug:But my setup is working for me... I've got a VP44 with over 146K miles and no problems. Then my MPG's are roughly 20-21 MPG still waiting for warmer weather.So it didn't work in there study big deal... I gave up a long time trying to counter prove why 2 cycle oil works. :rolleyes: