• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost Gauge Install?

I want to install a boost gauge on a stock truck. Wish to be able to know if I've got a boost leak and have a starting point for other mods. I have Isspro gauges currently and want to match. Looks like they are pretty cheap, so I want to install one. This will help to evaluate if I need new boost elbows, etc.

My gut feeling is that my boost is not providing all it should. Seems easier to install a gauge than to build a boost testing unit. Although that would be cool too. Can't find that article or thread.

Where does the boost gauge get tapped into the boost system for reading?

Edited by joecool911

People drill and tap the intake horn or use a boost bolt that replaces a bolt on the intake cover.  I have read a few stories where people snap the bolt by tightening a little too much.  I would remove the horn and drill it personally.  I looked on here and couldn't find the article but I did find a few on CFhttp://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/623182-diy-boost-leak-tester-how.html

I used a boost bolt. It came with the Isspro EV 1 gauge I bought. While the boost gauge will alert to lost boost, it wont tell you where the leak is. You need to pressurize the system to find any leaks. I made one out of a 4X3 fernco coupling. I bushed the 3" side down and installed an air connection. The 4" side is a little big and after tightening the clamp I had to put 2 small bar clamps to hold it on the turbo. t is a  little crude but it worked and I found my leaks.

Someone here has a better set up but I dont remember where of who.

IIRC there is a spot forward of the MAP sensor that can be used. I believe Mike has his tapped at that location.

Edited by dripley

That all depends on what you plan to do with the truck. If you are going to leave the stock turbo on it I would go with the 40psi. If you plan to put a bigger turbo on and do some fueling upgrades I would go with a 60 or a 100. All depends on your plans!

I use a 60 PSI gauge. My first came that way with the Banks system I bought. The Isspro I have is 60 PSI also. From what I have read here it is much better than the 100 PSI due to the range of boost that I make( around 33 when all is right ). The 40 PSI might be a little light depending on the amount of boost you are seeing. You dont want to be pushing the gauge near the max a lot. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, please.

• Like 1

I think there is just a plug in it. I havent heard of anything else being used there.

On second though, could that port be used to apply air pressure while trying to diagnose boost leaks? You would just need something to plug off the air intake on the turbo but that might be easier than making a connector to fit on the turbo. It would be real easy to find fittings to put into the manifold there.