• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Delo 400 Mg

The LE is for 2007 model year and newer trucks I believe. It is for trucks that have emissions control such as EGR. The MG is for non emission controlled trucks. You would want the MG for your 24v. Pretty much any CI-4 or CJ-4 motor oil will work for your truck.

Edited by Ilikeoldfords

Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 and Premium blue synthetic 5w40, Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, Chevron Delo 400mg, are all cl-4 plus oils that tested high according to the TDR oil analysis done by an engineer from Lubrizol.

High TBN, lots of calcium and phosporos and zinc.

I know I'm about to flame someone by mentioning that study. LOL

Edited by diesel4life

I am changing my bypass filter every 1,000 miles and adding a quart of fresh oil. Can I start adding the valvoline premium blue 15w40 that meets the specs for my age truck to the existing Delo 400LE oil in the engine? Not talking about adding synthetic to petroleum oil.

Edited by joecool911

You are not suppose to mix oils. A guy i work with said he went to a conference on oils and the major brands were there saying that depending on where the oil is from (gulf, east coast, west coast) that they will seperate from each other. I am going to start running delvac since i hate he way rotella makes it smell like there is a leak

I have been buying old formula (15-40W) Delo 400 from shop I deal with, the only way you can get it is 50 gal drum, but it is available from suppliers or directly from refinery which in my case is less than 20 miles away (have to have friends in high places). LOL

The argument is that the older CL4 specs have higher TBN, which is supposedly better for battling acids in the oil especially for longer oil change intervals. I have also seen the argument that the CL4 oils were needed to neutralize the higher sulfur fuel of the time period and that with ULSD it isn't as near a big deal. I'm no chemist so I don't hold a real strong opinion either way, but to your question running CJ oil in your truck is not going to have any real consequences, or we would be seeing engine failures on a regular basis. I believe the vast majority of people are running CJ4 and don't know the difference.

You are not suppose to mix oils. A guy i work with said he went to a conference on oils and the major brands were there saying that depending on where the oil is from (gulf, east coast, west coast) that they will seperate from each other. I am going to start running delvac since i hate he way rotella makes it smell like there is a leak

Sorry , this is false.

All oils with a SAE and API rating must be compatible

This is within the same rating CJ4 15W40;s or similar in auto oils SN 5W30 etc.

I found I can get some Delo 400MG from a distributor, Alexis Oil Co.

Their price is a crazy though, $82.30 for 5 gal, thats like $17 a gallon.

Sales guy left a voice mail twice, I should call him back and tell him I will pay $50 for a 5 gal bucket

I used to get MG from walmart , $10 per gallon, before they started making the LE stuff. I still have some of the old jugs in my garage

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

CJ oils are made to be backwords compatible, so they meet CI specs. That being said CJ oils have a lower TBN, as fuel is the age determining factor on 2007+ engine, not breakdown from acidity. They also have lower ZDDP, but are supposed to make up for it with other additive packages.

On non-DPF engines I still think CI-4+ is a better oil, especially if you run your oil for more than 7,500 miles.

Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 and Premium blue synthetic 5w40, Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, Chevron Delo 400mg, are all cl-4 plus oils that tested high according to the TDR oil analysis done by an engineer from Lubrizol.
High TBN, lots of calcium and phosporos and zinc.
I know I'm about to flame someone by mentioning that study. LOL

None of those oils are CI-4+ anymore, they are all a CJ-4 oil. The only exception might be if you find some old stock on the shelf, which I highly doubt.

Delo still lists their CI-4 15w-40 on their website, but I don't think it's made anymore. It was made for a while in conjunction with LE for the marine market, but even the marine market needs CJ-4 for it's modern engines.

I do know that Amsoil AME is CI-4+ and I run it, there are a couple others but I don't recall them anymore.

I am changing my bypass filter every 1,000 miles and adding a quart of fresh oil. Can I start adding the valvoline premium blue 15w40 that meets the specs for my age truck to the existing Delo 400LE oil in the engine? Not talking about adding synthetic to petroleum oil.

Bypass every 1,000 miles? That seems very frequent.

CL4+ was formulated with higher TBN after our engines were even produced, particularly for egr equipped engines . to combat the acidity due to the EGR and higher sulfur fuel prior to ULSD. Since the fuels have changed, is there really a need to stick with those additives? Being we don't even have EGR? The only real argument I see for a CL4 oil being advantageous over CJ4 is for higher sulfur fuel, when CJ oils are used they advise shortening the service intervals, but I am not aware where any 500ppm fuel is even available in the US anymore.;

BTW, all the most recent documents I can find on the oils I mentioned above have a TBN of 10-12, which is right in line with Amsoil AME