• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird Engine Grunt Maybe Timing?

• Owner
I think if I put the comp back on and tap the pump my egt's will be unmanageable.

I don't think so. You don't even have injectors listed in your signature so assuming stock injectors you'll be fine with the Edge Tapped and cranked up to 5x5 it will be just fine. Even my last trip out with 16,820# of GCW I was still a manageable EGT's without any problem 55-60 MPH on average. Climbing 6-7% grade still well below 1,200*F with stock HX35W turbo and straight piped 3" exhaust.

I don't think so. You don't even have injectors listed in your signature so assuming stock injectors you'll be fine with the Edge Tapped and cranked up to 5x5 it will be just fine. Even my last trip out with 16,820# of GCW I was still a manageable EGT's without any problem 55-60 MPH on average. Climbing 6-7% grade still well below 1,200*F with stock HX35W turbo and straight piped 3" exhaust.

Sorry MoparMan I forgot to update my signature! I dropped in a set of 100hp DAP injectors last week. With my smarty maxed the egt's are maxed at about 1300. I think if I tapped the pump I could easily hit 1500 or higher... I've never been up that high before... I'm too scared!  :lmao:

In what gear?

• Owner

Sorry MoparMan I forgot to update my signature! I dropped in a set of 100hp DAP injectors last week. With my smarty maxed the egt's are maxed at about 1300. I think if I tapped the pump I could easily hit 1500 or higher... I've never been up that high before... I'm too scared!  :lmao:

I would ditch the Smarty at that point tap the pump. Smarty it bound by the limits of the ECM and can't exceed that. But tapping the pump with a external module it can calculate fuel table beyond the limits of the ECM and continue well above. 100HP injectors I bet you could run a good 3x3 or 4x3 without much problems which would still be just about the same level of power I'm producing. Might have to tweak the sublevel for best smoke versus lag. That's another thing the Smarty can't do is smoke control very well.

I would ditch the Smarty at that point tap the pump. Smarty it bound by the limits of the ECM and can't exceed that. But tapping the pump with a external module it can calculate fuel table beyond the limits of the ECM and continue well above. 100HP injectors I bet you could run a good 3x3 or 4x3 without much problems which would still be just about the same level of power I'm producing. Might have to tweak the sublevel for best smoke versus lag. That's another thing the Smarty can't do is smoke control very well.

Well I also have my injection pump warranty that I don't want to void.... After the warranty is up I may do exactly what you said!  :thumb1:

DAP sells "tapped" injection pump warranties... :ahhh:

:ashamed: Sadly, I didn't even know about DAP before I bought my pump  :banghead:  I don't plan on eating another one, but if I do that's where it will come from!

:thumb1:  Agreed!

As well, you must make a thread if you do the he351! I'm trying to get my hands on one. Told the wife it would be more cost effective to do the he351 instead of buying an exhaust brake and turbo by themselves!

I am doing my best to convince my brother to buy a new turbo so I can have his! As soon as he pulls the trigger I will try to get it on and do a write up. If I do put it on, I will use the flange off of his old exhaust and weld it to my downpipe, clock the turbo to the correct position, either tap the housing for a boost elbow, or buy the bolt that is pre- tapped, build a wastegate mount, and buy other boots and pipes as needed!

I'm doing the HE351VE. DAP has most stuff you will need for a 351 conversion in stock. Just not listed as a kit.

Ed

Thanks Ed! I'll be talking to Jacob before I attempt to put in on. My brother ordered himself a new turbo this morning, so he said I can have his he351 for free! Are you using a controller for the veins, or are you building something?