• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird Engine Grunt Maybe Timing?

Ok I can't seem to figure out what the noise my engine makes. I just installed my edge comp box yesterday (Not wire tapped) to make sure everything was going to work properly when I do decide to tap the pump. Now when the engine is down in the lower rpms and i stab the throttle I get a slight loss of power, and a terrible "grunting" sound. To me it sounds like the timing is WAY off from what is should be, But as soon as I build a couple pounds of boost the horrible noise goes away and the power comes on instantly. I have no codes, smarty is set to stock, FP is 15wot 19idling. IP is 2 1/2 months old.  I thought I had read somewhere that if the MAP sensor voltage is way low it will change the timing, but I could be wrong. Any  thoughts?? Sorry for the paragraph I'm just baffled Thanks in advance

Now when the engine is down in the lower rpms and i stab the throttle I get a slight loss of power, and a terrible "grunting" sound. To me it sounds like the timing is WAY off from what is should be, But as soon as I build a couple pounds of boost the horrible noise goes away and the power comes on instantly.

Kinda like this video?

There is a stab, a slight loss of power, a terrible grunting, their timing IS WAY OFF, and then the power comes on instantly......... :lmao:  Sorry I just couldn't help myself................or pass this up. I had to beat Dorkweed to the punch here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjtz3rEPG0

I need to find a job with the main stream media seeing how I can take one story and twist it into something it isn't. Hey I hear there is an opening being vacated by piers Morgan. :evilgrin:

• Like 4

I'm assuming that the comp is on? If so what power level? I had a similar issue with my edge comp when i first hooked it up with my stealth plate. I didn't tighten the allen screw tight enough to make a good contact with the terminal and i was set on 5x5 with the comp. I tried all the settings and it didn't change anything till i tightened the allen screw. I would suggest turning the edge box off and try it again see if the truck acts normal. I'm not real sure if you what kind of power you will get out of the comp with out the tap though. :think:

I still have warranty on my pump, so I am waiting to tap it.... for now. It was set on 5x5 when doing that. I never tried changing the power level or the low boost fueling. Turning the box off it acts the same just with less power.... That's why I was thinking maybe it was the map sensor as it does still do the boost fooling when it is shut off.  Does anyone know if the MAP sensor can cause changes like that?

Problems are getting worse.... I unplugged everything on the edge and now it is starting rough with a big cloud of white smoke. Then idling it has a constant stream of white smoke coming out. Still no codes HELP!

Still no codes. It just started when I put the comp on and progressively got worse. Now everything is unhooked and it's still doing it. The white smoke stops after driving a ways

post-1794-0-14592900-1393823180_thumb.jp

this was after it was running for 30 sec or so. engine temp at 185

Edited by TFaoro

Unplugging everything means you unloaded your smarty too, right? You need to clear the smarty settings on the truck to get it all back to stock. All thats required is to unplug the edge box from the harness.

If you still have problems, use code reader to see if there is codes tripped. If there are no codes, maybe pull that MAP sensor and diagnose if its faulty.

Whats your fuel pressure when you experience these symptoms? Does the smoke smell sweet? Check your oil and coolant for fuel wash or contamination.

Edited by hex0rz

Unplugging everything means you unloaded your smarty too, right? You need to clear the smarty settings on the truck to get it all back to stock. All thats required is to unplug the edge box from the harness.

If you still have problems, use code reader to see if there is codes tripped. If there are no codes, maybe pull that MAP sensor and diagnose if its faulty.

Whats your fuel pressure when you experience these symptoms? Does the smoke smell sweet? Check your oil and coolant for fuel wash or contamination.

I set all of the parameters on the smarty back to default then set the truck to stock. I still have no codes reading them with the smarty.

Fuel pressure is a normal 19psi. Smoke smells like raw diesel no hint of antifreeze. Checked oil and coolant this morning both right at the full level. It was a pita to start this morning with the temperatures. I don't know how this is still going on with everything unplugged. Could the edge have fried the pump computer?

This probably wont work but take both negatives off the batteries. Make sure they are isolated from the posts and take one of the negative cables and hold it on the positive post. This completly drains the computer memory. Just hold it there for like 5 seconds and then hook everything back up. I have seen this fix some weird stuff before. Its worth a shot

I actually did that last night and left it over night with a positive and negative terminal touching. Still doing it though. I was told by a diesel mechanic today that my fuel pressure is too high and that I ruined the diaphragm. Oh he also said he has his own test bench sitting at his house and that he rebuilds the vp44's himself....

I actually did that last night and left it over night with a positive and negative terminal touching. Still doing it though. I was told by a diesel mechanic today that my fuel pressure is too high and that I ruined the diaphragm. Oh he also said he has his own test bench sitting at his house and that he rebuilds the vp44's himself....

I have been running the same pressures you have for 3.5 years with no issues.  I dont even know the number of members here and on other forums that are doing the same. No way thats the issue. As far as having a Bosch test bench, he must build a lot of pumps to pay for that thing.

• Like 1

Here we go again the infamous diaphragm which doesn't exist. :duh: I would like a good picture of this "diaphragm" and his test bench.

I thought the same thing! Really made me want to punch the guy in the face. :mad:  You have been running a pressure near mine, if I am correct, and you have what 200k on your pump? I asked to see his test bench and he claimed it was at his house in a controlled environment. He also said that everything Industrial Injection rebuilds or makes is sh%t. I thought the guy was a real tool.... Left some white smoke in his shop when I left  :lmao:. But all kidding aside, I have no idea what is going on with this "issue" I have to drive it for the next week, then I will go home and tear it apart.

My vote from descriptions is an injector issue, just dumb luck it coincided with the EZ install, nothing I know of an EZ can do to cause this issue.

Would the issue go away when the engine is warm though? I will be the first to admit I know nothing about injectors.

In my old caterpillar engines...white smoke is raw fuel in a cold engine. 

Not sure if that helps you with a 50 year newer engine

Chris

We had some old tractors that did the same thing, but this truck has never white smoked even down into the negative temperatures??

Depends on how bad the injector is, if it failed and cracked a tip then it will smoke white warm or cold, if it is just hanging up or internal issues but still firing somewhat it will clear up once warm. Either way I would not drive it too much taking a chance of washing down a cylinder wall and causing cylinder scoring or burning a hole in a piston.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just pulled the cap off my fuel tank for the hell of it and there was enough pressure to blow it out of my hand... Like a ridiculous amount of pressure. Could that be causing anything??