• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Air Dog 100?

Hello, Been A while since being on. Busy working! I Bumped my truck over and didn't hear my fuel pump run. Shouldn't it run every time you key the starter? The fuse was good on the air dog. I tested and had voltage on both sides the truck off. it when trouble shooting my truck that didn;t want to start at work today. Think I have a starter issue as well. Thanks for any info. Also been having very cold temps and snow.

JOHN

Hello, Been A while since being on. Busy working! I Bumped my truck over and didn't hear my fuel pump run. Shouldn't it run every time you key the starter? The fuse was good on the air dog. I tested and had voltage on both sides the truck off. it when trouble shooting my truck that didn;t want to start at work today. Think I have a starter issue as well. Thanks for any info. Also been having very cold temps and snow.

JOHN

Yes, I do. Have a fuel gauge. I was just getting a click. I put a heavy duty battery charger on it and peened  the gauge on it. Then I knocked on starter with dead blow hammer. It clicked one. I tried again and it started. I started it several times,since I have been home from work. And it has started every time. I will have to see how it reacts in the morning.

Edited by JJK98CTD

Sounds like your starter contacts might worn out. It can be rebuilt.

As far as your fuel pump, are you seeing any pressure when bumping the starter or is it dead?

Sometimes my brilliance amazes me. Kind of hard to bump the starter when the starter aint working.  

• Owner

I think Tom is right as long as the ECM sees the start pulse regardless of even the starter being present on the vehicle. I looked at the wiring diagram and now scratching my head a bit. The start/run position of the switch is tied so how does the ECM know if its start or run if both are the same wire? :think:

I know when you turn the switch to the start position some of the systems shut down while it is engaged and comes back on when the switch is released. At least my radio shots off, I dont know what else does. Maybe the ECM gets that as signal so it knows the switch position. wiring is definitely not my strong suit.

Here ya go: http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/starters/rebuild-kits.html  Chances are all you need are the contacts and plunger, but the choice is yours.

Do you know if the complete rebuild kit they offer has the larger solenoid contacts as well, or do you have to buy them separate? This is on my spring time maintenance list. I figure 16 years is enough to ask out of cranking an engine like a Cummins over!

for the starter contacts, read this write up: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/1364-starter-contact-write-up/

also...if the truck is not starting right now, the contacts are the problem(which they are 90% of the time with this problem), and you need to use the truck before the replacements come in, then you can follow the steps of the write up, but only remove the 1 contact that is thin and make the hole longer, allowing you to get the contact closer to the plunger. i did that with my truck and it allowed me 2 months(possibly longer, but i finally broke down and ordered the replacements) before i change them with the new ones

for troubleshooting the airdog, if the fuse is good: take the airdog relay out in make a jumper wire. with the key to "on", but not cracking the starter, place the jumper wire in the relay socket were it jumps the yellow and red wires. the airdog should run constantly. if it does, then you can confirm it is the relay by taking one of the big 5 blade relays out of the PDC and placing it in the airdog's relay socket. then when you crank the truck, the airdog should come on.

Edited by guesswho512

Hello all, Sorry have been swamped with work. Update. Starter problems related to the extremely cold weather and Ice build up underneath of truck. Fuel pump is ok. Going to change all filters as soon as the weather breaks this week. Had 10 inches of snow on St. patty 's day and rest of this week in to be around 60* so will have good weather to go at it. Thank'[s to all that offered help and suggestions. I appreciate very much!

• 4 weeks later...

Well had to report back. My starter did go this past monday. Pulled it out had it rebuilt. IT was the original starter. I'm th 4th owner of the truck. So that baby had a lot of run time. Installed it yesterday. Fired right up.

Edited by JJK98CTD