• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Why not to mix different kinds of coolant

This unit came in with the complaint of oil in the coolant. After further inspection it was determined two kinds of coolant were mixed in and ran forever. This stuff is like gelatin and is packed in every cooling passage you could think of. Day two of flushing is started and its still pushing gunk out.

post-2089-0-08528200-1394802932_thumb.jp

post-2089-0-79854500-1394803354_thumb.jp

Not sure what the application is on this beast, but Ill bet the heater core and radiator are toast!! Being how black it is, could it be a possibility of oil being mixed into the coolant as well? Even just antifreeze I dont think would turn black like that, but I have been wrong many times before.

I know of a guy that had a GM vehicle that had the same thing happen. The previous owner (or somebody) mixed Dex with the green stuff and he had the same problem.

Believe it or not 30 min. of flushing the egr cooler and heater core cleaned them up. The radiator was sent out and had the tanks pulled off to be flushed. Not a drop would come out of the radiator it was so packed. With the clutch replacent its already at $6k but , Monday will tell if it's going to flush completely. I've got a nice big box of lemon scented Cascade ready to do some work. As for overheating....only 2 counts of 230-240, way less than I was expecting.