• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Synthetic oil: Any leaks?

My truck has a 151,000 miles on it. I have been using synthetic oil for more than a decade in a number of other vehicles. I have noticed that on some of the vehicles that had more than say 50,000 miles on them, that a few of them developed oil leaks after switching to synthetic. When I switched back to petroleum based oil, all but one of them stopped leaking. My question is: Has anyone developed oil leaks once they switched to synthetic oil on a 2nd. gen. Dodge/Cummins that had say 50,000 or so more miles on it ? Thanks...Hood Latch

• Owner

From what I've learn from the synthetic guys is that the synthetic oil tend to clean scrub away the parafin wax sludge build up and this causes the leaks to occur typical at a gasket or seal. So basically time to start replacing gaskets where there are leaks occuring. If you switch back to petroluem you might find the leak disappears over time...As for personal experience... I don't have any to speak off so Duluth Diesel or Crow Synthetic will have to speak up...

From what I've learn from the synthetic guys is that the synthetic oil tend to clean scrub away the parafin wax sludge build up and this causes the leaks to occur typical at a gasket or seal. So basically time to start replacing gaskets where there are leaks occuring. If you switch back to petroluem you might find the leak disappears over time... As for personal experience... I don't have any to speak off so Duluth Diesel or Crow Synthetic will have to speak up...

Yep, that is my understanding also as to why vehicles can develop leaks when switching to synthetic from petroleum based oil

I too am an amsoil dealer and have been running it in every cavity of my vehicles for over 10 years and have swapped over vehicles with over 100k with no leak issues. If it is going to leak with syn it means it was close to being a leak already with standard oils.

I was also considering the switch to Amsoil, is there anything special i must do be for switching or just the drain and strain? thanks,

I would just change the gasket. I don't see what lock-tite is supposed to do, it doesn't make it any tighter it just keeps it tight. If it is leaking, then the gasket is probably wore out. Put a new gasket with "the right stuff" on both sides and it will never leak again.

Nothing special, just another oil change. I usually tell people to run the first synthetic oil change to a normal service interval or a bit shorter to clean things up and flushed out then at the second change you can go to extended drain intervals of your choosing.

I:iagree: also can run a bottle of the Amsoil engine flush while doing the change over.