• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What to do w/ 30 gal. of Waste engine Oil?

JAG1

• Staff

It's been siting for 2-3 years. Does it get the dirt settled out of it enough to pour off the top clean layer and mix with the fuel in my 12 valve?

Thank you for all thoughts.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

I wouldn't use WEO for fuel any longer being that engine oil has compound like anti-scorching, ash content is up and other things added to the engine oil. The amount of carbon in the oil is also bad too. So if it was me I would just send the waste oil to a collection site. Out here in Idaho most collection sites are picked up by people use for waste oil heaters. But I don't suggest using for fuel.

The only place to use that for is fuel for starting bon fires (actually illegal to do!!). Do like Mike suggested and find a recycler (most service shops, some auto parts stores, etc.) and let them deal with it.

• Owner

The only place to use that for is fuel for starting bon fires (actually illegal to do!!). Do like Mike suggested and find a recycler (most service shops, some auto parts stores, etc.) and let them deal with it.

That where a good part of my waste oil goes is to lighting the yard trash and getting it burned off.

Here is the results of burning WEO or ATF... What your looking at is ash build up on the injectors.

dirty-inj.jpg

The o'rielly near me takes it for free along with the filters.  The other place I go is the repair shop down the road from me.  He uses it for heating the shop.  Since I bring him oil he also takes any anti-freeze I have and disposes of it for free.  It's a win-win for me.

• 2 weeks later...

While a picture is worth a thousand words , it does make me wonder why Cummins offers the Sentinel system on their engines.

It takes a small amount of the engines oil and adds it to the fuel system, has a tank with new oil to replenish what was used in combustion.

I think the injectors shown above had too much used oil , possible unfiltered to cause this.

• Like 1

If you burn wood for heat, add a drip system to it for more supplemental heating.

While a picture is worth a thousand words , it does make me wonder why Cummins offers the Sentinel system on their engines.

It takes a small amount of the engines oil and adds it to the fuel system, has a tank with new oil to replenish what was used in combustion.

I think the injectors shown above had too much used oil , possible unfiltered to cause this.

Yea, but I bet the ratio is so small it does not make a big effect on how the fuel burns. The above picture is from too much oil in the fuel and the person did not filter properly. Alot of people who get into the WVO and WEO alt. fuel use "sock" filtration. Personally, if I were going to do any of it, I would invest in a centrifuge.

• Like 2

• Owner

Cummins did allow up to 5% by volume (approximately 1.75 gallons) of WEO or fresh engine oil to be added for 12V engines. Even Centinel adds way less than that for injecting back into the fuel. But also take notice that it only available for larger engines not for the smaller 4/6BT or ISB engines.

I'm doing it for  added  lube,  and not   'fuel replacement'...    I  think too many are  trying to run on  30% or more  weo.. "looking for free fuel'   which  naturally will  cause   build up..   

I'm only going to use my own oil,  I  use   Conoco fleet  15w40  in  every engine on my place.    even  the  4 wheelers..   

No hydraulic, gear,  automatic trans....   just    engine oil. 

I have a unique  situation,   I have  my own  fuel storage,   and  should be able to  have a  good blend   before it hits the tank.

I've been  'hand dumping'   weo  in  a  cummins  903   for  about 4 years now..   trying to  keep  5% 

• Like 1

Caterpillar says no more than 3% weo/fuel ratio (pre common rail fuel systems) and have strict requirements for mixing and filtering. It has been a long time since I read the article, but it goes something like this: First you are to do a 50/50 blend of weo/diesel fuel, IE  50 gallons weo and 50 gallons diesel fuel, THOROUGHLY mix the 2 components and then transfer the mix to the EMPTY (or nearly empty) fuel storage tank via a fuel/water seperator and  2 micron filtration, and then top off the storage tank with fresh diesel for a final ratio of 3%. weo/diesel fuel.

• Like 1