• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ExxonMobil has announced that NASCAR began this month using Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy and Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 engine oil in its 65-truck fleet as part of the sport’s Race to Green initiative. 

Tony Stewart, driver of the No. 14 Mobil 1 and Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet SS, introduced the the new oils by ceremoniously topping off his a 2014 Chevrolet SS with Mobil 1 on April 4, prior to the start of the Duck Commander 500 Sprint Cup Series race that weekend. 

Michael Lynch, VP of Green Innovation for NASCAR, joined Stewart in topping off one of the NASCAR hauler trucks with Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30. 

Doesnt Cummins not want anything lighter than 30 weight oil used in these engines? If I was planning on living here in ND forever I might think about trying the lighter weight stuff for the winter time. What would the effect be of using the lighter weight oils? Would it cause any difference in pressures? I only ask because I have never run anything but a 40 weight.

• Like 1

My thought on lighter oils is a increase in M.P.G.'S

While using 15W40 I;ve seen 27 m.p.g. with 10W30 over 29 M.P.G.

so how high could I get with 5W30 HDEO like Delvac 1 5W30 LE ?

Edited by skellyman

The mileage was figured by hand ,my 99 does not have a in cab computer.

Previously had a 95 12 v that achieved low to mid 30's mpg.

It had 3.55 gears 5spd manual  the 99 has a automatic and 3.55 gears.

Edited by skellyman

Well I'm not sure I would want to go to a lighter weight oil with the mods I have. I haven't had the chance to get on the dyno in over a year but i would say that I'm somewhere around 450hp at the wheels... I'm just not sure that lowering the viscosity will help that much in my case but in your case with everything being bone stock 2wd and an auto it may very well work great.

Skellyman -  I find your MPG numbers VERY hard to believe. Were those numbers based off of a whole tank of fuel, or a quick trip up the highway? (down hill with a tail wind)

The best I've ever seen a stock truck do is about 21-22 MPG.

Question: How does oil weight affect fuel mileage? :think:

The 29 m.p.g. was on a road trip Allen Tx to Mc Alester Okla. common hwy driving.

Lighter weight oils flow more easily .

XOM has done many studies as has Chevron.

Edited by skellyman

You are probably thinking of Moparman. He has made over 27 once but he also has his truck set up to do it. I am still also finding it hard to believe myself. No offense or anything. I have heard people say that they made better mileage with lighter weight oils but it was a to the tune of about .5-1 mpg's better. Even a stock truck I am having a hard time believing. Maybe if it was a 2wd SRW shortbed regular cab with a stick. :poke:

• Like 1

Well I'm not sure I would want to go to a lighter weight oil with the mods I have. I haven't had the chance to get on the dyno in over a year but i would say that I'm somewhere around 450hp at the wheels... I'm just not sure that lowering the viscosity will help that much in my case but in your case with everything being bone stock 2wd and an auto it may very well work great.

Your worry is unfounded , if Delo 5W30 or Delvac 5W30 can meet Cummins ISX M-11 Detroits DD-15 & Mack Volvo standards  why would it not be good in your engine ? All Sae oils are backward compatible , at least until the new PC-11 comes in to use.