• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What Happen ?

If I abused my equipment I could understand this, but I just changed antifreeze and Tstat  about 8-9 months ago. Like the title says WHAT happen.
I talked to Michael a little while ago and the only thing we came up with is, rust settled in the block and began its reaction after flush. Because I flush every time I change the Tsat  and antifreeze. I just don't get it.
I changed my 05 about 30 days later, real close to the same date, same brand of antifreeze and it looks just fine.

post-29-0-23281300-1401238774_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-88641600-1401238786_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-40238100-1401238798_thumb.jpg

Did u use the same brand of antifreeze the last time as this time? I have seen some really weird iron oxide come from green and pink antifreeze. But if you pulled green out and put green back in I'm stumped. Maybe send it in and get it tested and see if it's something in the antifreeze?

I bought this eng about two years ago and when I put it in I used green, what it had before that I don't know. When I change it it was the second time since I bought it. In other words it had about a year on it when I changed. And it looked fine then.

• Staff

What brand anti-freeze did you put in?

x 2.

I'm embarrassed to say, but, I'm still on the original antifreeze in my 02 and the inside looks brand new still. Not a thing growing or rusting. I test it every once in awhile with my ph test kit. and it's always alkaline.

Edited by JAG1

Belive it or not its not as bad as it looks. I used a flush and yes it had crud coming out, but cleaned up quick, I have seen worse. I am going to run water on the way to town and get another flush to run in it just incase. Man I hate to slam Prestone  but that's what I used, my 05 has the same thing and it looks good, but it doesnt get driven much. Anyway its coming out just incase.
I cant belive it, it makes no sense.
What I normally do is check the oil look over at the water bottle, look around a bit and close the hood. Well not anymore, pull the cap and see whats going on. Its like you put salt water in it or something.
I will run this by yall and see what you think, When I flush the old fluid out I always pull the Tstat and back flush, its just something I have always done. Ok now we have water in the block, I then dump two gal. antifreeze concentrate then 50/50 to top it off. Right or wrong?

I would do 1 gallon of antifreeze and the rest 50/50 mix. In all the cooling system I've drained I've always gotten close 5 gallons out of a truck. So that means there is roughly 1 gallon of water in the block.

Ok sounds good,  You know I still cant get over the corrosion, like the guy posted he had not changed his coolant sence he bought the truck.

I go 8-9 months and its toast. wth

Wix makes a Cummins additive. Available at most auto parts stores. What I am not sure of is its necessity. But I've been using it without having any cooling system problems.

Additives that Cummins sells is for the engines with liners for cylinders. They contain corrosion and pitting protection. What they do is help keep the small bubbles from forming around the liners. When the bubbles form when the cylinder fires there is a slight shock wave formed and it causes the bubbles to expand and contract to the point they produce a super sonic pressure wave that will literally eat holes in the liners near the bottom of them. The holes look just like worm holes and will allow coolant to get into the oil. This will give you more reading: http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/cooling/coolant/supp_add.html

• Like 2

When you put it that way :wow:  Ok in my situation I should run it or is the damage already done?

No damage done to your engine. Our 5.9 engines are what is called a "parent bore" engine and do not have liners. For some reason that I can't remember the bubbles are not a problem with our engines. You can use the additives with no detrimental effects.

• Like 1

One thing that I didn't catch was what kind of water is used to flush and or mixed with the antifreeze ?

Like I use a hose to flush, but run 2 to 3 gallons of distilled to flush the residual water, then start a 50/50 mix refill.

I've always used distilled water and never had an issue. I knew people using tap and did have issues.

Hows your water ?

I put straight water in it yesterday and ran it a little then this morning I put 10 miles on it and drained the water by pulling the lower hose. Went ahead pulled the tstat put in Hawaiian stat in flushed again. I think its going to be ok.