• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CAI in Summer VS Warm Air in Winter

I'm thinking that the Second Gen fender snorkle, CAI... are a carry over from the gas engine trucks... certainly not a special for CTDs. I've been contemplating a manual change over from warm underhood air for the winter to a CAI for summer. Why not?Russ

• Staff

It certainly wouldn't hurt if it was effective. I would want to know the effect it made on IAT's, and if it was worth the money. Its the reason I went with the intake mods I have, I knew how effective the OE setup was and put the money into places I could improve it. Is there room to do a Home Depot CAI on a 2nd gen? Or even just improve the fender snorkel with some 4" dryer hose to a better spot?

I haven't got a round 'tuit but I have a remote temp sensor (AC tech type). I want to sneak a probe into the filter box & the second under the hood & see what the temps really are & it the CAI snorkle does anything. Russ

the placement of the probes is the kicker. obviously, if its anywhere near the exhaust, the experiment would be biased. i was thinking 1 in the box/BHAF, 1 between box/BHAF and battery, AND monitor the IAT sensor. would love to see the results. might do it myself, if i ever get paid :broke:

• Owner

Yeah but I bet the air temp will be close to the outside air temp by the time you get to the driver side of the IC. Then it will also be based of speed too... So if you stuck in traffic crawling won't matter much...

--- Update to the previous post...

It certainly wouldn't hurt if it was effective. I would want to know the effect it made on IAT's, and if it was worth the money. Its the reason I went with the intake mods I have, I knew how effective the OE setup was and put the money into places I could improve it.

Is there room to do a Home Depot CAI on a 2nd gen? Or even just improve the fender snorkel with some 4" dryer hose to a better spot?

There is a mod called the stinky slinky where you drill a 3 or 4 inch hole in the cowling and route a short piece of drier tubing or sewer hose from the stock box to the cowling..