• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering flush

Did a search, found no info on this. Can someone inform me as to how we do this? As I understand you remove an outlet hose and pump out old and pump in new. Any cleansers necessary? Where do indisconnect the outlet line and how to tell which is outlet?

2 rubber hose connections with band clamps on the back of the pump. The upper one is the return from the gear box where the most pressure and fluid will come from. Unhook at least that one or both, you might have to do a vertical slice on the hoses to get them off the pump and then cut the hoses to length, there should be enough hose. There is a hard line at the bottom of the pump but you don't need to touch that. Disconnect line(s) and put in funnel to bucket or drain pan, open cap, fill to top with ps fluid, start engine, fluid will come spitting out of gear box hose, fill reservoir as it drops, when fluid spitting out of hose is clean and fresh, turn off truck and reassemble. Refill reservoir and turn the wheel lock to lock while truck is running to purge air...front tires in the air off the ground.

Here ya go. Best write up you'll find regarding flushing the power steering system. The truck in the article is a third gen so the fluid will be different than what the second gen is specd for but other than that everything else is very similar.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/3rd-generation-dodge-cummins/53-engine-system/119-power-steering-flush

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_4/187-1871939-2374555?ie=UTF8&qid=1403983667&sr=8-4&keywords=vacuum+oil+extractor

At each oil change, I just use the Mityvac to suck the power steering fluid out of the reservoir and refill. Start engine, turn steering wheel lock to lock a few times, shut engine off. Repeat sucking oil out of reservoir and refill. This keeps the oil pretty fresh over time and is VERY easy to do taking very little time.

I do the same thing with the engine coolant. I stick the suck hose in the raditator and it sucks out about 4 gallons of coolant and most of the crud on the bottom of the tank. Refill with fresh coolant. Do this every other or 3rd oil change. Its CHEAP, easy, quick, and keeps the coolant and additives fresh. I use the Shell extended life coolant ELC in my truck do I do this about every 5 to 7 years. If you use the Walmart Supertech green coolant, do this as above. Works good, lasts a long time.