• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ive got the opportunity to tow a friend of mine's fire departments breathing air compressor/generator set up for them. It weighs in around 9,000 - 10,000 lbs. About 12 feet long, tandom axle.

My questions, as Ive never really towed this much weight for this length of distance (roughly 125 miles @ roughly 65 mph):

What do i need to worry about as far as my transmission goes, I do not have a gauge for it yet and wont before the trip.

EGT's and Boost, what to watch for there as far as too high EGT's and best EGT/Boost combo to keep it cool.

Ive towed many things so towing is nothing new to me. Boats, campers, trailers. But this is much heavy that most things Ive ever had the pleasure to tow, so I need all the advice I can get (Not on how to tow, more on how to keep my truck safe, I know these 47RE trannys are a stubborn child under heavy loads and such)

Thanks all.

As far as I know, you want to keep the TC locked up as much as possible. That will create the least amount of heat because it wont be slipping. Whenever I tow heavy, I just make sure to keep the EGT's under 1k. I know I can run up to 1200 safely but this way I know for sure that I am not over working the truck. I also keep my boost under 20 psi. Thats another way that I know I am not overworking the truck. These are just my ways of running my truck. Every truck will run a little differently so you will have to adjust I am sure. This is also with my comp on 4x4 all the time.

What gear ratio do you have? With 35s your going to want to keep the rpms from dropping too low as this will increase the egt's as well as increase the stress on the trans and drivetrain. Whenever I am pulling heavy I will keep OD locked out and run the engine to 2100-2400 rpm depending on terrain before I allow the trans to shift into OD. This keeps the engine in the power band, egt's will be lower and it will be easier on the trans.

• Owner

Just yanked home a nice heavy load of firewood on my BigTex trailer. I'm used to hauling heavy I tend to favor my 4th gear (1:1 Ratio) more so like Diesel4Life suggest to lock out overdrive which is the same 1:1 ratio as well on the Auto if I'm not mistaken. Biggest thing is not to be in a hurry taken your time slow down. Stopping large loads might take considerable distance compared to a empty pickup.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/8657-firewood-hauling-my-big-load/

You should be fine, just make sure the trailer brakes work and the controller is properly setup before getting up to speed.

Brake controller????   What's a brake controller???? :duh:

I see many part-time towers that actually downplay the importance of this item. :duh:  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Owner

Brake controller????   What's a brake controller???? :duh:

I see many part-time towers that actually downplay the importance of this item. :duh:  :rolleyes:

:iagree:

@MoparDave68 so do you have a functional brake controller? Most states have a laws stating that the trailer must have functional trailer brakes after X amount of pounds.

What gear ratio do you have?

My truck has 4.10's

:iagree:

@MoparDave68 so do you have a functional brake controller? Most states have a laws stating that the trailer must have functional trailer brakes after X amount of pounds.

Yes I have a functional brake controller. First thing I bought for the truck was the brake controller.