• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

best all-around diesel truck?

rseabur

http://media.chrysler.com/download.do?id=13670&mid=2

Heres the tow specs for 2013 models. The 6.4 wasn't available until 14 (I think) so the only way your going to get that is by buying a brand new pickup.

You say your interested in a 10 or newer, I personally would avoid the 07.5-12 Rams. They use frequent EGR cycles which pollutes the oil, I know people changing their oil as frequently as every 6k miles. That gets expensive. 13 and newer SCR equipped Rams (or 07.5-12 CC trucks use the DEF fluid and IMO is a better cleaner approach. Less invasive, better mpg's, 15k mile oil changes. It is a fairly proven technology and I wouldn't hesitate to own one but you have to use them as intended. Not a good daily driver or grocery getter. There seems to be a general consensus on here that the new trucks are to be avoided like the plague and I honestly disagree. I have seen enough of them in action to see that they are powerful reliable trucks, and very roomy and comfortable to boot. Truth is, our beloved 2nd gens won't hold a candle to them in any category including towing mileage. The big downfall is price, hard to justify 45-50k for a plain jane model but if you can afford it or need it you won't find a more capable and comfortable pick up in my opinion.

I agree the new SCR rigs are a lot better than the DPF system rigs and you hit the nail on the head big time by saying they are not to be used as a daily drivers, the new diesels are made to work, that is what my arguement is for looking hard at the new gasses which are absolute power houses anymore too and can hold their own in the towing and hauling categories and are much more suited when it is not needed on a daily basis.

• Like 1

There is an ongoing thread on another forum of a long time diesel mechanic that recently acquired a new job which required the purchase of a new full size pick up. His needs were a 4x4 that was capable of towing 10-12k pounds occasionally while hauling 1k+ pounds payload. Half ton was out of the question so it came down to a 3/4 ton or srw 1 ton and was heavily contemplating either the 6.4 or the Cummins. . I can't remember exact commutes but I know he puts several hundred miles a week on his truck. After weighing his options he decided to go with the 6.4 Hemi for most all the reasons W&F mentioned. He has given a very honest opinion over the last several months which is essentially this in a nutshell: horsepower is phenomenal for light to moderate towing but in his words being used to owning and driving diesels for so many years torque quickly falls off under heavier loads. Empty mileage is 15-16mpg depending on driving conditions and has seen as low as 8 and high as 12 towing depending on weight, speed, etc. He is already considering trading it in on a baseline Tradesman or ST with a Cummins when money permits. He is doing quite a bit more towing than what the OP is discussing so the trade off may be worth it. I know of a retired couple that bought a 13 Ram SRW 1 ton with the HO Cummins/Aisin trans and 3.42 gears. They use it to haul their 5th wheel and get nearly identical fuel mileage as their former 05 Cummins. He has done a few empty highway trips from the Carolinas and mileage with the 3.42s have been netting him consistant 18mpg. He has showed me his log books so I know this to be fact. Pretty dang impressive for an engine with 850 ft lbs torque. You certainly aren't going to get that out of a 6.0 gasser or likely any Hemi. I have no idea what maintenance intervals are for the Hemis, but 15k mile oil and fuel filter change intervals and the ocasional air filter change and EGR cleaning every 60k are about it for the Cummins. DEF is an additional expense but pretty minimal at that. The maintenance costs wouldn't scare me anymore than what I'm doing with my truck but the initial cost is the hard pill to choke down. Then again, when you look in the classifieds and see 10 year old trucks selling for 25k-30k I don't think your actually losing out on anything. It really all comes down to the end user and what his needs are. A gasser will certainly be cheaper up front and cheaper in a daily driving situation. As much as the gas engines have evolved so have the diesels and you aren't going to find the same capabilities in a gasser, it's going to be a give and take relationship. Just gotta figure out what you will be happier with

Edited by diesel4life