• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

YabbaDoo's new BHAF

..... What are the real outerwears made out of anyway? .....

I'd like to know that myself. I researched for four months a while back. Took and old pre filter I had to all the material shop in the area, 100 miles away and when I went to see the kids in Nevada and California. One heck of a lot of suppliers.

All I could find was the material is a specifically wolven man made material that has been treated with something like Soctch Guard. If you look at it under a high powered magnifying glass, the holes in the material are somewhat uniform. So if you could get some tight wolven material, that allows a constant flow and Scotch Guard it, it might  work.

If anyone finds what the actual material is made of, please post it so we all know. I still look at material supply stores each trip I take.

What is  'Scotch Gard'??      an  adhesive?  a  sealer? :shrug:

That stuff is what you spray tents, sleeping bags (outside of them), other camping gear to make them repel water. I have even sprayed my work boots and they kept my feet a lot dryer in the wet weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I see no reason for an Outterwears on a BHAF. I have run a BHAF for over 10 years without one and also without a heat shield. I replaced the first BHAF after it had over 100,000 miles on it and it still did not make a filter minder move.

• Like 2

• Owner

Personally I see no reason for an Outterwears on a BHAF. I have run a BHAF for over 10 years without one and also without a heat shield. I replaced the first BHAF after it had over 100,000 miles on it and it still did not make a filter minder move.

Exactly. I ran 7 years and 135k miles on my first BHAF without a outwears. Mostly back country dirt roads and a lot of dust.

• Like 1