YabbaDoo's new BHAF

• Administrator

BHAF you can't go wrong but the heat shield as ISX has proven isn't really needed being the air filter temperature is about 2-5*F over outside temperature while driving. Idling of course it with rise but no big hurt while idling.

I will admit the heat shield is impressive... :wow:

• Like 2

..... What are the real outerwears made out of anyway? .....

I'd like to know that myself. I researched for four months a while back. Took and old pre filter I had to all the material shop in the area, 100 miles away and when I went to see the kids in Nevada and California. One heck of a lot of suppliers.

All I could find was the material is a specifically wolven man made material that has been treated with something like Soctch Guard. If you look at it under a high powered magnifying glass, the holes in the material are somewhat uniform. So if you could get some tight wolven material, that allows a constant flow and Scotch Guard it, it might  work.

If anyone finds what the actual material is made of, please post it so we all know. I still look at material supply stores each trip I take.

What is  'Scotch Gard'??      an  adhesive?  a  sealer? :shrug:

That stuff is what you spray tents, sleeping bags (outside of them), other camping gear to make them repel water. I have even sprayed my work boots and they kept my feet a lot dryer in the wet weather.

• Administrator

Mike, how about the outerwear I had made? :)

Your home made one I would go for being the fabric is thick enough to withstand rubbing and other issues. I know the Outerwears I was given didn't last more than a few months and had holes the size of quarters and larger.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I see no reason for an Outterwears on a BHAF. I have run a BHAF for over 10 years without one and also without a heat shield. I replaced the first BHAF after it had over 100,000 miles on it and it still did not make a filter minder move.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Personally I see no reason for an Outterwears on a BHAF. I have run a BHAF for over 10 years without one and also without a heat shield. I replaced the first BHAF after it had over 100,000 miles on it and it still did not make a filter minder move.

Exactly. I ran 7 years and 135k miles on my first BHAF without a outwears. Mostly back country dirt roads and a lot of dust.

• Like 1