• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brutus is down :(

man,  something went berserk  on that post!

I'll try again.

Youll probably need to re use  your old head bolts,  cause  the  thread  and diameter of most heads  are not   ace hardware variety size!

I'll  use a  bunch of spacers  to keep the chain  snug against the block,  so it won't  slide up and   meet the head on the bolt.  It'll  bend the bolt for sure.

Go  opposite corners.

Don't allow the  engine  to   free fall... even  a couple inches,  and have the chain  'catch it'..

I've  dangled  long blocks  with   manifold bolt holes   (3/8ths  each side)     You'll be fine  with your stripped block.

Going back in,  with a  complete engine...   use the   lift hooks!

ok so i got metric grade 8.8 bolts, thread pitch matches perfectly and ill ensure the chain stays close to the block. the bolts are only 2.5" long to keep from bending and i got washers as well.

I WILL be taking my time extracting and not to jerk anything around. this thing will maim or kill and that would be bad

when i put it back in i will do it with the lift loops, the head will be torqued on the stand and valve adjustment done on the stand as well

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

block party was a success. i found a couple bearing were gouged bad on the mains, and some wiping as well, the piston was galled bad but not cracked. the bearings clogged a couple oil nozzles and the crank has a single shallow score on it. im definately getting new bearing as it needs it. ill post pics later im exhausted

• Like 1

oh boy where to start...

cleaned all the greasy dirt off the block for the shop tomorrow, scraped gaskets off etc etc...

started to investigate what the hell happened and how a 1/2" chunk of metal got into the top of the #7 main bearing and a 1/4" chunk in and around the #5 main bearing. i cut the oil filter open and it looked like a transformer had taken a dump in it as there were metal piles on the bottom. i didnt see any cuts of where anything could have gotten through but who knows.  i took pics of all the rod end bearing and main bearings but ill just post the worst of them. i also took a pic of what the cooling jets look like in the block as they sit on top of the top main bearing and squirt up to the piston. the pink squiggly thing in the pics is my camera.

post-684-0-21610900-1411432299_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-71863800-1411432335_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-18426600-1411432368_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-19329300-1411432406_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-30947300-1411432466_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-98606800-1411432534_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-05082700-1411432570_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-63995000-1411432605_thumb.jpg

so bottom line, crank will be polished and reused, its in good shape (speedysleeve put on the front main as there is a groove in it). the cam is in good shape and will be reused. the block will be washed and cleaned, decked if needed and new cam bushing placed in it. the head will be cleaned and water tested for valve seal.  and while that is being done i get to clean the workshop and all the parts that go back on so it will be a nice happy clean motor when rebuilt. yaaay