• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I Ain't Happy

I was towing my boat (16' aluminum) with my truck and got to a corner and when I went around the corner my transmission acted like it was low on fluid. There was a flare in RPMs on the second to third shift and then it was going into and out of lock-up. I went another four miles and stopped to figure out what was going on and checked the dipstick. In neutral there was no fluid on it! I had a quart in the box so I walked to the back of the truck and saw spots of oil on the truck and boat. I looked under the truck and the fluid was POURINGno.gif out from the bell housing!!mad.gifmad.gif Long story short, a friend of mine came and towed my boat and a wrecker towed my truck home. I called the guy that did the rebuild (1300 miles ago) and he tried to say the torque converter was the problem, then he changed it to the fact I didn't let him install a new stock transmission (833 lb/ft of torque would tear it up) and he just did a "band-aid" (his words) then he tried to tell me the tranny was over heating. After things got a bit warm between us he did say to find out what happened and get back to him. I discussed the problem with another shop and they said that some builders use a pump bushing that wasn't the highest quality and they have been known to spin the bushing out and ruin the seal. I hope that is all it is, but I won't know until I pull the transmission and figure out what happened.

Have owned 5 Dodge pickups since 1995 and about 450K combined miles all on auto trannies and I have yet to have an issue........................................Before I switched to mopar I never got a GM tranny to last more than 30-50K miles manual or auto.

Having worked at a tranny shop I can say that there are just as many manual tranny failures as auto. Just a personal preference..................and if anyone sees my thread on towing things you know what my trannies see quite regular. :evilgrin: 

Can the autos be a bit more glitchy,  yeah but are manuals any better or stronger overall........no.

From my experience it comes down to common sense and knowledge of knowing how to and what not to. :2cents:  :tongue: 

• Like 3

Yea, I agree that what I am seeing is not typical. The input letting go at about 140k miles, well if you search the interwebs you will find that that problem is fairly common in trucks running 'above normal' torque and HP. This is a fault of the rebuilder not anything else (in my mind).

I have the transmission sitting on the floor next to my truck. I will say I am questioning the builder's capabilities due to the fact he kept wanting to install a stock tranny even after I told him my power numbers, the torque converter bolts were snug but not tight, the transmission mount had two different size bolts in it, the cross member took three different size wrenches to hold the bolts, and the transmission mount is almost ripped in two pieces. I am not even sure it is the same case as what I had when he got it.

Well, on one hand Tom,   it'll still be  clean and bolts  wont be  too bad to  break loose!       Hope this helps!  :rolleyes:

edit,    now I see you already have it on the ground..      you suppose they    just impacted  any ol  bolt..  whether it fit or not??  I'd be    kicking rocks all over!

Edited by rancherman

What really pissed me off is the fact the transmission had 140k miles on it and had very little wear and now after being rebuilt 1300 miles ago and I am getting my butt chewed by the guy who screwed it up because I don't know how to run an auto?

I pay for almost everything via CC now days for the purchase protection they all offer as it can be contested through them as well and the cc company can get your money back if enough evidence is presented to them. I got 600 dollars back on a used engine I bought from a salvage yard on the web many years ago that was supposed to be in excellent shape.......................got engine delivered and it literally looked like they drug it out of the ocean after it sat there for a year, all rusted out and full of water, I took many many pics called THE CC COMPANY  described what went down and sent them copies of all paperwork from the company stating it was to be a usable part which it wasn't, they responded within a couple weeks and said I would get refund and they would take care of things, and sent the engine back postage due.

lawsuit?

...or tell him it'll be attorney general time.

I don't know what I am going to do yet. I am going to have a shop go over it with me standing there and see what is found.

Well I guess now you can have one of the professionals now build it right.

Yea.... But, the guy I am going to take it to won't be able to look at it until next Wednesday so it will be another week that my truck is down. :mad:

• Staff

MnTom, was it a guy that came highly recommended from a friend of a friend kind a thing?

And he promised the ''no other work comes close'' for big big big big savings?

And was there junk mess around his yard?

His jeans unwashed for 6 mos. or more?

This might be the same guy that had to move in big hurry. Was wunderin' where he went.

Edited by JAG1

No, actually he had a shop and was wearing shorts when I picked up the truck! He does transmission work for a living. He did telll me that for 140k miles my tranny was in pretty decent shape. Then when I called him 1300 miles later broke down he started to try to chew my a$$ for being cheap. I am going to find out what happened before I decide which route to take.