• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil testing and capturing sample.

I've got 20k on my oil change since the Frantz bypass filter install with paper change every 1,500. Wanting to have a sample tested.

What's the procedure for obtaining a sample? I've seen recommendations in the past for testing facilities. But maybe for the discussion of taking a sample and sending it off for testing it would be best to combine them here.

Edited by joecool911
  • Like 1

Hey, my bypass filter sends filtered oil back to the oil fill on the valve cover. Anything wrong with taking the sample from that discharge? That'd be simple to get a sample! Leave engine running and remove the fill plug and fill the sample container. I don't think it'd get much cleaner than that.

• Like 1

My friend had to install a T where the oil line goes into the bypass filter head and capped it. When he takes a sample, he removes the cap, installs a valve, runs the engine and draws a sample. Then kills the engine, removes the valve and replaces the cap. Takes a few minutes and still has minimal weight on the line. And no mess. Just a thought.

• Like 1