• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

no. check your oil consumption. routine maintenance and driver er. check u joints. diff fluids.. the usual. should keep on running though. congrats.

I changed the oil 3k miles I check weekly I haven't had to add any and I did a u joint and ball joints myself last week but it runs strong no blow by at all I do need a rubber gasket that goes on the shifter tower it leaks and a rear axel seal ! Does the rear axel pull out like the front ?

Axle seals are easy. Just unbolt the axle and remove it (it just slides out). Using a 2 9/16" socket (available at most auto parts stores), unscerw the large nut and slide the hub off catching the outer hub bearing. You can now get to the seal quite easily. Just make sure that you do not allow the hub to hang on just the inner bearing when you are reassembling everything. Doing so can ruin the brand new seal. Just take your time and you should be fine.

• Like 2

Axle seals are easy. Just unbolt the axle and remove it (it just slides out). Using a 2 9/16" socket (available at most auto parts stores), unscerw the large nut and slide the hub off catching the outer hub bearing. You can now get to the seal quite easily. Just make sure that you do not allow the hub to hang on just the inner bearing when you are reassembling everything. Doing so can ruin the brand new seal. Just take your time and you should be fine.

thanks for the info !!

I changed the oil 3k miles I check weekly I haven't had to add any and I did a u joint and ball joints myself last week but it runs strong no blow by at all I do need a rubber gasket that goes on the shifter tower it leaks and a rear axel seal ! Does the rear axel pull out like the front ?

I changed the oil on my 01 every 20k miles for the first 500k miles.  After that I went to every 10k miles.  On my newer trucks, I change the miles every 8k miles.  I think changing the oil every 3k miles is too much.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

thanks for the info !!

You may need to get the wedges that slide into the keyway to keep the axle nut from spinning back and you may want to pick up two axle nuts if they are the ones with the nylon ring. I'm pretty sure they suggest you replace those type any time you take them off. The Napa Part Numbers are: Axle Nut #635-1102 qty. 2  and   Wedges #635-1103 qty.2  My 99 had this style, not sure if they all did.