• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Traction Bars

Does anyone here know how to set up traction bars for towing? I know the axle moves backwards as weight is applied, so I'm curious if I should unhook the bars, load the trailer, then hook em back up and set the pre-load on them........ Any advice is appreciated!

Axle better not be moving backwards when loaded down, if it is you gots issues young man. The axle needs to stay in the same position when loaded down no matter what, the traction bars keep it from twisting or in other wards it keeps the pinion pointed straight ahead and not aiming up or down when the springs wrap up under torque.

The spring shackles are to the rear of the truck.... Thus as you add weight the axle moves backwards slightly. It's how the suspension works. I understand the traction bars are supposed to keep the axle from wrapping  :thumb1: . I built a set because I was getting bad wheel hop when the programmers were turned up and the tires would break loose. 

The axle will move to the rear what, MAYBE 1/10 of an inch? If it moves enough to cause problems with your traction bars I think you have other issues to deal with.

Dave3500.   you need to  see this video.    you said  in a post  somewhere  that your  driveshaft was   collapsed  all the way,  but it  still fit.    Here's a perfect    explanation on  why you need   a shorter  driveshaft!

If you have those bars  adjusted to  empty specs,     and  suddenly    put  a  butt load of  weight  in,    the  bars  are going to  twist  the  axle...   pinion  will be  pointed downwards.    It's  the  way  the  geometry works out here..

You most definitely  don't want  to  preload/bind a leaf spring  when  it's  carrying a load!

I'd  disconnect them  for  those type of   duties.   (faster than  re adjusting them????)  

Edited by rancherman

The axle will move to the rear what, MAYBE 1/10 of an inch? If it moves enough to cause problems with your traction bars I think you have other issues to deal with.

Interesting.... I'm going to have to do some measuring now to see what the actual numbers are!

Dave3500.   you need to  see this video.    you said  in a post  somewhere  that your  driveshaft was   collapsed  all the way,  but it  still fit.    Here's a perfect    explanation on  why you need   a shorter  driveshaft!

If you have those bars  adjusted to  empty specs,     and  suddenly    put  a  butt load of  weight  in,    the  bars  are going to  twist  the  axle...   pinion  will be  pointed downwards.    It's  the  way  the  geometry works out here..

You most definitely  don't want  to  preload/bind a leaf spring  when  it's  carrying a load!

I'd  disconnect them  for  those type of   duties.   (faster than  re adjusting them????)  

Good thinking. Next time I load it down I will disconnect the bars to see which way the tension would have been on the bars.