• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Main Seal

So I came out to my truck this morning and saw a pretty good size puddle under it. Now my parking lot at our apartment complex just got re-sealed the day before, so I figured that helped with the size of the puddle but when I saw it running off I got worried. SO I babied it to work and parked in on a flat surface and waited. It took about 2 hours before it started dripping, at first I thought it was coolant but it wasn't, it was oil. I crawled under and I saw the oil dripping right from behind the harmonic balancer. I am assuming that it has to be either the front main seal or from the timing cover.  :cry: 

I have never attempted a front main seal, so what do I need to look out for and what is the best way to tackle this?

I assume the radiator, condenser, and intercooler need to be pulled.

If I need to dig this deep I plan on doing the KDP fix.

:truck:

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Mick

dont need to pull the inter-cooler and condenser. I was already changing my radiator when i did mine so i cant say if you have to pull it or not, but it would be pretty tight to get it all on and off with the radiator in. while the front timing cover is off you can check the kdp too. also when you buy the seal, buy one that has the little plastic installing tool on it. otherwise you will probably mess up the seal. i bought mine at Napa and it had the install tool with it. fairly easy job to do, i used RTV to seal the case back up and its working just fine now.

Radiator can stay in place, just have to remove the engine fan, harmonic balancer, and front cover since you're going to check on the KDP as well, although your truck "should" have the updated cover to take care of that issue.

Edited by bjytech

Does your engine have the crankcase vent into the little bottle on the front of the engine.

If so you might be leaking oil from a full bottle. There are a few threads about it and Michael has a nice write up about repairing it.

They can be messy if just left alone.

Chris

No need to pull your hair out if it is the timing cover or the main seal.  I redid mine a few months back and it wasn't too bad.  I left my radiator in, however I had to be super careful when pulling the fan so that I didn't smash the radiator.  looking back, I wish I had pulled the radiator, that only takes a few minutes and would have made pulling the fan much easier.  Also, I would have realized earlier how plugged my radiator had become (because of the crank case vent) and i could have cleaned it then.  Also, don't forget to inspect your lower hose, it is much easier to replace with the fan and radiator out of the way.  Good luck.

I have been able to pull the front cover, tab a KDP, install a new seal, and have it back together in 2 1/2 hours with nothing but hand tool in my driveway. I actually did that two times (two trucks).