• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery Maint?

This might seem like a stupid question but I would rather ask it than suffer a bad out come. I understand if you disconnect the batteries completely, you have to then reset the APPS when you connect the batteries back up… Yes, No???

If I want to clean the terminals, do I lose battery power if I only do one terminal at a time on one battery while leaving the other one hooked up?

This might seem like a stupid question but I would rather ask it than suffer a bad out come. I understand if you disconnect the batteries completely, you have to then reset the APPS when you connect the batteries back up… Yes, No???

If I want to clean the terminals, do I lose battery power if I only do one terminal at a time on one battery while leaving the other one hooked up?

If you disconnect both at the same time, yes, you loose the memory for the APPS and your radio, clock, etc. If you disconnect one at a time then no you retain all memory. Just remember, if you  do one at a time the positive cable will always have power on it so try not to short it to ground.

I just want to clean up each terminal and cable end before winter. I assumed if i took one at a time off I would be ok, but this is the first truck with dual batteries for me.... So I would rather appear a bit dense, but get the correct information before I goofed up. Thanks guys, as always. 

What it boils down to is you almost CAN't screw it up! The worst that you should need to do is recalibrate the APPS and or reset your clock. Just as an FYI, both kidshave a 2006 VW and I put a new radios in it for them. I wound up replacing both with the stock ones and after a year they both retained their preset memory!

• Owner

I typically would only disconnect one cable, clean and re-hook up. That way I don't wipe out the customers radio presets and clock on the stereo. But if you take care of the terminal correctly you'll never have to remove the cable expect to replace the batteries. Like myself I never had to clean my terminals yet to this day and they never corrode. All I do is light coat with fresh engine oil and even look back.

• Like 1

I just top off each cell with distilled water. Don't fill it all the way to the top!!! It will boil over if it is to the top. I usually just fill it right to the bottom of the plastic battery top. If you look inside the cell, you can see where the plastic top of the battery ends, then all the guts and everything are beneath that a little ways. Just go to the bottom of that plastic. If that makes sense...

• Owner

30wxo94.jpg

It's normal habit around here once a month to check all batteries. Automotive, RV, and the House batteries. You add distilled water to each cell like said above to the bottom of the collar ring inside. Then you need to always charge the battery after adding water. Those batteries above at my house batteries that power the house weigh in at about 125 pounds a piece and a total of 1,000 pounds. My last batch lasted just about 12-13 years. For all of them is about $4,500 for 8 of batteries. So yes you learn really fast on how to properly maintain batteries.