• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buying a 12 valve need some advice

I'm looking to buy another truck for daily use and more abuse then the one I got, found one on line for 2700 obo. It's a 97 12 valve and all rusted out 4x4 extended cab long box, 250k nv4500 haven't been driven much lately guy says it lost power a few years back and he just parked it. I asked him if he checked fuel pressure and he said no. An older guy that just doesn't care. He owned it from 99, What do you guys think, maybe if I can't get it running cheap, then it should worth that in parts? But I would love to get it going and drive it daily. Basically I want to have a bitter truck and see if I can get it 1000000 ml. :)

Let's see...  Does it run?  Something wrong mechanical...  Does it turn over?  Is the oil contaminated?   What block is it?  53 block?  Is it cracked?  and rotted out body.  How's the frame & things that rust out like front spring seats on the front axle (4x4) and the u-bolt plates under the rear axle (all rusted out on mine).   I would use the poor condition to beat him up on the price.  Really buying a pig in a poke...   

Could be as simple as a clogged prefilter.  If he doesn't care then he probably didn't even look.  These 12 valves aren't built by NASA.  Check filters, overflow valves, etc, thats all there is to it.  

[quote name="flagmanruss" post="98082" timestamp="1412212634"

It runs just supposedly doesn't have as much power, I'm going to go look at it this weekend, didn't know 53 blocks were on 12valves, I'll have too look really close because he said it's covered it grit and oil. He said harem is good just body is bad.

Let's see... Does it run? Something wrong mechanical... Does it turn over? Is the oil contaminated? What block is it? 53 block? Is it cracked? and rotted out body. How's the frame & things that rust out like front spring seats on the front axle (4x4) and the u-bolt plates under the rear axle (all rusted out on mine). I would use the poor condition to beat him up on the price. Really buying a pig in a poke...

He said he changed filter and cleaned screen, some one told him it could be return banjo bolt but if it's that simple not sure why not fix it. What fuel pressure should it have to injection pump? Same as 24valve? Did these motors have mechanical lift pumps on the motor?

Could be as simple as a clogged prefilter. If he doesn't care then he probably didn't even look. These 12 valves aren't built by NASA. Check filters, overflow valves, etc, thats all there is to it.

Like ISX said, they are pretty simple. It may be nothing more than a fuel filter. Also, it won't be a 53 block. To old for that. If you do get it make sure you tab the KDP on it.

He did mention that valves never been adjusted, and clutch is only got 2k on it and was put in at dealer 2years ago. All bull aside how much does this thing worth in parts if all else fails, it's got 4.10's

I would be looking at plugged air filter/fuel filter. Kdp, fuel shut of solenoid, turbo, valve adjustment, slipping clutch. Im sure its something simple. 12 valves are tough. Transmission is worth 2700

yep.  White.    It's a  stripped  cab.  Maybe  has  the   rear window.  No doors, dash  seats..   

Eventually,    I  would  have  the frame too,  plus  a   good box..

I dunno..   $500 for the cab? 

Hey Rancherman, does that cab have a half *** decent dash? If so, how much wold you want for the dash? the one inYabbaDoo is in really bad shape! :) Thank you :) ( providing dieselfuture doesn't need the dash with the cab of course)

What part of the dash...  the  clear lens part in front of the  gauges... or  the  part  'over the top'  (that  cracks all to heck)?     Of  the  6  parts  trucks... I GOT ONE of  each.    methinks   I'll hang onto it for now..  lol.

OH,   there's  an outfit  that  sells  either  1.   a   'cap'  that  holds together  what's left of your  cracked dash...(like a  tooth crown)   about   125 bucks..     or  2.  the  complete   dash pad  w or w/o  the  bezels ..  aoout   $ 350       I was    checking them out  about  6 months ago...   until  I found  the  'one'  in my shed!     Lemme   do some digging  of the  addy.   Someone else  know the link?

.........need  a  totally  rust free  extended cab to   put on it?...      I'm   2 hours  west of   Sioux City.

I am interested in the cab too. I don't need the dash, but the cab would be good.

Thanks for the offer on the cab, if anyone else is intrested in bying it dont wait on me as i dont know which route ill take yet. Guy just send me some pictures and its realy rusty, rockers and cab corner are gone, interior is dirty, but its got 8foot box and extended cab. Whats left anyways.

just  fyi..  this is  the extended cab,  no swing out rear door..     I'll snap  a  pic or two  later today..

Yep, the rear door didn't appear until 1998. The cab is the same as mine. PM me with what you want for it.

I'm looking to buy another truck for daily use and more abuse then the one I got, found one on line for 2700 obo. It's a 97 12 valve and all rusted out 4x4 extended cab long box, 250k nv4500 haven't been driven much lately guy says it lost power a few years back and he just parked it. I asked him if he checked fuel pressure and he said no. An older guy that just doesn't care. He owned it from 99, What do you guys think, maybe if I can't get it running cheap, then it should worth that in parts? But I would love to get it going and drive it daily. Basically I want to have a bitter truck and see if I can get it 1000000 ml. :)

Dang, you guys have all the luck! I wish I could find an NV4500 donor truck on the east coast. Can't get the trans swap back here for $2700. Buy it , part it, and make some $$ at the least.