• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch choices

How important is it to spend $1,200 on a clutch? I am looking at a auto to nv4500 conversion and am wondering for a mainly stock rig how important it is to go with a big a$$ clutch. Can I just get one from napa? Every time I turn around you guys want me to spend a thousand dollars. Lol.

How important is it to spend $1,200 on a clutch? I am looking at a auto to nv4500 conversion and am wondering for a mainly stock rig how important it is to go with a big a$$ clutch. Can I just get one from napa? Every time I turn around you guys want me to spend a thousand dollars. Lol.

That is just like not wanting to upgrade a stock auto but wanting to run a programmer and injectors. You will over power the clutch in no time and need to replace it again and again...... Sorry, but that is part of the game.....

I went with a valair single disc and it has been awesome. Depending on how much power you want to push, just look for a clutch that is a little above that. The stock clutches are barely enough to hold the stock power, kind of like the auto trannys. I would stick to either valair or southbend though whatever you do.

Don't forget to look at some heavier clutch hydraulics as well if you go with a heavier clutch. The stock hydraulics really aren't good for much over a stock clutch and there have been lots of issues with them in the past.

when i got the new valair, i ordered a new throw out arm, bearing, pivot ball, spring and clip. All the clutch internals are new for mine when i replaced the clutch. total was about $1000 for everything (also got a rear main and replaced it, i installed correct as i had zero leaks when i took engine out for rebuild)

when i got the new valair, i ordered a new throw out arm, bearing, pivot ball, spring and clip. All the clutch internals are new for mine when i replaced the clutch. total was about $1000 for everything (also got a rear main and replaced it, i installed correct as i had zero leaks when i took engine out for rebuild)

But was it a single, double or triple disc?

But was it a single, double or triple disc?

single this is what i bought below, uses stock flywheel (turned of course)

NMU70279-06

$756.33

This is not a Dual Disc Clutch. Picture is showing both sides of disc.

13.00" x 1.375" Performance Replacement

Ceramic / Kevlar Buttons

HD Spring Hub

Rated @ 500HP / 1000 ft lbs Torque

3400# Pressure Plate

Kit includes: Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool.

http://www.valairinc.com/performance/24nv5600.html

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

You can even get a lighter single disc. My valair is rated for 400 hp. Here it is:

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product-p/valair%20org-fslash-org%20nmu70279-01.htm

Very budget friendly as long as your flywheel is still within spec. It really all depends on how much power you want to make. I will tell you that this clutch feels like a stock pedal. Nice and easy.

• Like 1