• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coil Springs

post-1611-0-77109800-1414885574_thumb.jp

Rockwell snow plow prep coils installed! They raised my truck about 1.5"! Now with the coils and spacers the truck is sitting almost perfectly level...which is a little much, now she'll be nose high when loaded. I hope they sag a little bit. Who has a V10 or V8 and wants new coils?! 3rd gen adjustable track bar ordered from CPP...paypal extended my credit line. I'll do a little write up on the track bar when it comes in.

New coils are much beefier than the stock ones or V10 ones and are constant rate. Once again I was proven wrong by knowledge and experience...Wild and Free was right, I should have just spent the money on plow prep coils from the get go, now I need to unload my V10 coils.  

• Like 1

oh you bought me a new trackbar kit, thanks!  how much was it and where?

Ohh yup! Cummins Performance Parts (CPP). $390 shipped. The box says Titan Machine, Saint Paris, OH. Must be a small company. No drilling required. Hopefully get her in over the weekend.

• Like 1

I've been eyeing that trackbar kit from CPP myself, my track bar has some play in it and that kit seems to be the best option for replacement, I just have to many things I need to get for my truck right now though. I have a U-joint to do at the left front hub, ball joints on the right side, wheel bearings could use replacing in the rear(had a wheel seal leaking a few weeks ago and found the bearings starting to pit, but no parts available at the time) and it needs new shocks all around... never ending battle it seems, but I sure love driving it  :burnout:

• Like 1

post-1611-0-06195600-1415106644_thumb.jp

That's a terrible pic...almost got her in

-take off the driver's side wheel

-hardest part is dropping this square nut into the frame rail and then trying to find it to get the bolt started

-bracket is beefy, holes line pretty darn good

Edited by CTcummins24V

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

001.JPG

Rockwell snow plow prep coils installed! They raised my truck about 1.5"! Now with the coils and spacers the truck is sitting almost perfectly level...which is a little much, now she'll be nose high when loaded. I hope they sag a little bit. Who has a V10 or V8 and wants new coils?! 3rd gen adjustable track bar ordered from CPP...paypal extended my credit line. I'll do a little write up on the track bar when it comes in.

New coils are much beefier than the stock ones or V10 ones and are constant rate. Once again I was proven wrong by knowledge and experience...Wild and Free was right, I should have just spent the money on plow prep coils from the get go, now I need to unload my V10 coils.

Can you tell me where you got these springs and how much and was it 1.5" lift over stock? and you also used 1.5" spacer? So you got total of 3" Reason I'm asking is I'm building a front bumper and only want to lift it maybe 1.5" and hopefully bumper sags it .5" so I would see total of 1" lift. I don't want anymore. And would rather go with springs than spacers. Thanks.

Edited by Dieselfuture

Looks good man. :cool:

From my experience of changing out several sets of front coils you can expect them to settle in about 3/8 of an inch average from new over a month or so.

You could have saved a few bucks on the track bar too by just getting an OEM style 3rd gen bar rather than an adjustable now you have a heim joint that will wear out and start clunking or rusty dry and squeak  same as the junk OEM tie rod end on the stock rod where as with OEM has bushings in both ends, especially since it is not the style of hiem joint you can grease unless I can't see the zerk in the pic......................just saying.  :thumb1:

In the end on my 02 after the plow springs and the ranch hand it sat about an inch higher in front than stock and still had a slight rake to it and it still sat good with a load and didn't look nose high at all.

On my 05 I just added 1.5 inch coil spacers with the ranch hand and it sits about 1 inch higher than stock with a very slight rake but almost level.

I am not a fan of heim joints if you didn't notice, they just do not hold up like bushings do over the haul and abuse.

From my experience of changing out several sets of front coils you can expect them to settle in about 3/8 of an inch average from new over a month or so.

You could have saved a few bucks on the track bar too by just getting an OEM style 3rd gen bar rather than an adjustable now you have a heim joint that will wear out and start clunking or rusty dry and squeak same as the junk OEM tie rod end on the stock rod where as with OEM has bushings in both ends, especially since it is not the style of hiem joint you can grease unless I can't see the zerk in the pic......................just saying. :thumb1:

In the end on my 02 after the plow springs and the ranch hand it sat about an inch higher in front than stock and still had a slight rake to it and it still sat good with a load and didn't look nose high at all.

On my 05 I just added 1.5 inch coil spacers with the ranch hand and it sits about 1 inch higher than stock with a very slight rake but almost level.

I am not a fan of heim joints if you didn't notice, they just do not hold up like bushings do over the haul and abuse.

Where did you buy your plow springs and how much, maybe part # ,and how much rougher ride is if any? Thank you. Edited by Dieselfuture

Where did you buy your plow springs and how much, maybe part # ,and how much rougher ride is if any? Thank you.

Posts #2 & 6 of this thread will answer first part and second I didn't notice any difference in ride compared to stock but hard to judge because I added the springs about the same time as the ranch hand so that may have made a difference, it may have rode rougher if I had not added the extra weight up front. After all it was a 3/4 ton 4X4  with E rated tires that runs wash boarded gravel roads all the time so ride is at the bottom of my worries. If I wanted a caddy like ride I would have bought a caddy...........................I am a realist.

Where did you buy your plow springs and how much, maybe part # ,and how much rougher ride is if any? Thank you.

RockAuto, just under $230 shipped. I just looked on their website and they don't have them listed anymore. I'll see if I have the receipt with the part #...As far as ride, I haven't driven it really. She's kind of put away for winter. The rockwell coils are constant rate and thicker than oem. They will be a stiffer ride. You might want to look into skyjacker d25s or rcx coils. My initial measurements showed that the coils and spacers netted me 3", so with 1.5" spacers that leaves 1.5" for the coils. The description for the coils said they would keep it within 1" of factory ride height.  

You could have saved a few bucks on the track bar too by just getting an OEM style 3rd gen bar rather than an adjustable now you have a heim joint that will wear out and start clunking or rusty dry and squeak  same as the junk OEM tie rod end on the stock rod where as with OEM has bushings in both ends, especially since it is not the style of hiem joint you can grease unless I can't see the zerk in the pic......................just saying.  :thumb1:

On my 05 I just added 1.5 inch coil spacers with the ranch hand and it sits about 1 inch higher than stock with a very slight rake but almost level.

We'll see how it holds up, this is my first experience with heim joints. It might have to be customized in the future or get a true DSS track bar with bushings.