• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just lost my 500 GB hard drive...

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Dang it... Working right along this morning and without warning the computer hung itself which is really weird... But Hit the reset button and the BIOS instantly reported that my 4th hard drive 500 GB just tripped SMART and has gone BAD. So I tried to deal with it and test the drive but when I got it booted up the drive is gone... :cry:So now I got to call me dealer and see about getting a new drive...:broke:

yeah...it SUCKS when they go...i have a drawer full of bricks...i check the smart status once every 2 weeks. i have 2 drives(300,and 180) that are very health expect for the continuous run hours. my manufacture specs, these drives are near the end of life. because they test so high is proformance and health i am reluctant to take them outta service, but have moved the most important stuff to another drive just incase. sorry to hear your loss. i hope that you didn't lose priceless data.

i am truly sorry. by priceless i kinda meant like family pics, home videos, stuff that cannot be replaced. last wednesday, during my wife's first "format and fresh install" she forgot to back up ALL the pics,vids....we lost all the pics of christmas/newyears from 09. she was crushed as it was jr's first christmas...to make matters worse, i told her to do the write 0's command...those suckers are gone! apps can be re downloaded and work may reclaim 1000s of man hours, but sometimes a collection of binary can irreplaceable:2cents:.

• Owner

Kind of reminds me of a vp44

Thanks I feel the love... :lmao2::lmao: Yeah your about right... No error codes... Just a hung screen (dead pedal) and then Bam! - DEAD HARD DRIVE (VP44)... :lol: All BIOS report is the hard drive is BAD and need replacment (CHECK ENGINE LIGHT)... Seagate must be getting hints from Bosch... :lmao2:

I feel your pain I lost 3 of the 1TB Seagate drives before I just went and bought a Western Digital 640GB (I still haven't filled it up so why would I need the 1TB right?)None of them made it more than a month and failed without warning. Thankfully I didn't keep anything vital on the drives and they will basically fresh installations of Windows XP with odds n ends thrown in. I have since purchase a WD MyBook 1TB to use as a back up just in case this drive goes.

Are new hard drives that bad!? Mine are all ancient, including maybe 10, 4GB scsi drives. Probably 25 total in the house. None of them have failed. Not even the ones I took apart to watch the head go back and forth :lmao:

• 1 month later...

Well I got back from Boise, ID and got my replacement drive... WeeHaw... 1.5 TB worth of hard drive... Now back to loading it back up with stuff... I'll take the old drive down to the shop and see if I can get if fired up ot back it up... :pray:

Why can't we RAID 5 our Vp44 and AIRDOG hahahahahahahahahaha