• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Questions regarding 47re to nv4500 swap?

As things come up, I will resurrect this thread to ask questions.

Will I be able to have the clutch pedal safety switch to lock out starting unless clutch pedal is depressed?

Do you see it as possible to do the swap on the shop floor without a lift? I'll get one of those harbor freight transmission jacks.

I had a ride in a same year truck as mine with a nv4500. I like the personality of the manual transmission. I'm looking forward to swaping out mine!

Edited by joecool911

Yes, you can do it with out a hoist, it is a little more work but I did mine without a hoist.  It would be nice to jack the truck up a few inches, but that is not even necessary.  You will not be able to get the tranny under the truck on the trans jack without the truck jacked up a little bit, but the trans will slide under the truck frame, then roll the trans on the jack.

As for the clutch safety switch, there is one under the dash, if I remember correctly you will have to hook it up to a ground?  It is easy to do and you will have no problem doing it, heck, I did it to my truck.  The brake and clutch pedals will switch out with your brake pedal, no modifications needed, just undo a circle clip, slide the bar out, drop out the brake pedal and line the new brake pedal up, slide the bar through it then the clutch pedal.  It is a bit of a pain, but a lot nicer than having to cut and fab brackets.

The NV4500 is a good choice, I read too many bad things about the 5600.  Nothing against the 5600, but the less problems with the trans and getting parts the better.  You do not really gain anything with the six speed, low gear and high gear are about the same ratio, just closer ratio between gears.  Best of luck, if you have any questions, ask, I or someone else will have an answer.

Nope, I did not need any spacer or adaptor.  My five speed bolted right in.  You will need the flywheel, but that bolted in place of the flex plate.  I went with a stock clutch, I have not had any problems with it yet, but I do not abuse it.  Depending on how you will use it you might want to upgrade to a better clutch?  Any other questions, I will try and answer.  You will like the NV4500.

I have seen where people buy a totaled truck and use it as a donor?  This would get you all the pieces that you will need.  I found most of my parts on ebay.  I bought the trans, bell housing, pedals, clutch master and slave cylcinders, fly wheel and one or two other items from one seller as kinda a kit.  I think if you look around you might find something like that.  Also, Light Truck Parts on Foster might have a parting out truck that you might be able to get a lot of parts off of?  Might be worth looking into them, or they might have a good lead for sourcing parts?