• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another 47re Thread, Lol

Hey all, I've been looking for info on the issues my 47re is starting to have and I can't seem to find a set of issues that is the same as what my truck is having, so I need some help troubleshooting.  I'm a broke college kid and I need my truck up and going strong for winter snow removal but can't afford to have the trans professionally done.

Starting about a week ago, the trans started slipping from a dead stop.  This didn't happen often (maybe 5% of the time) and still isn't happening often, but now I get this whooshing/whistling noise once in a while and the truck won't shift cleanly into 3rd.  I have to be going over 2000 rpm and then drop below 2000 while maintaining speed and it'l shift as I drop below 2000.  I was told on a Cummins facebook group that it is my output shaft starting to shear.  I replaced the output speed sensor about 3 months ago and when that was bad, it wouldn't even get out of first, so I don't think that's the issue.

When I figure out what's wrong, I plan on doing a transgo shift kit at the same I fix the issue along with a fluid and filter change.

Another symptom I'm having is just slightly low trans fluid level and I noticed just a bit of smoke coming out when I pulled the trans dipstick, but the fluid does not appear burnt at all and does not smell funny.  There is a tiny, tiny leak on the t case but it is never enough for any fluid to ever drip to the ground, and the fluid level is only slightly low, so I don't think lack of fluid is the issue as much as a symptom of something else.

This isn't a high power application, my truck is all stock minus lift pump and cold air intake, and soon to be exhaust once I get my flex pipe in for stacks.

Really want to get this resolved before downtime starts costing me money.

Thanks.

2000 24v basically stock.

The first thing I would do is get the level back to full. When you check the fluid are you leaving the transmission in park? The fluid will splash around and give you a false reading. The best way is to have the transmission in drive when you check it (as per Dave Goerends). Just make sure the parking brake works great or someone you trust to hold the brakes on. Otherwise check it in neutral and make sure you look at BOTH sides of the dipstick and go by the lower side. If the output shaft was shearing how would the truck keep moving? I broke the input and the truck would not move.

Have you tried changing the filter? Also while the pan it down look at the magnet and see what it looks like. Some fuzz on it is normal, but if it is really fuzzy you will know. Then you are looking at a bit of repair. Also the smoke you speak of concerns me.

• Like 1

If you have to get into that tranny, do the shift kit, governor pressure sensor and solenoid upgrade. Will do you a world of good for not that much money. If you have to have a torque converter I think a single disc billet converter will work for what you have unless you are planning on some major mods. Also get a B&M drain plug and a temp gauge. Change your fluid as often as you can afford it and keep your bands adjusted. Use a good quality atf+4 and filter. A built 47re isn't cheap so do these things to keep what you have going.

• Like 1

Same here it makes me think trans temp is a bit too high. I wonder if the torque converter is slipping.

That would cause a 2-3 no shift?  It will not shift at all now.  I figured it was a valve body issue but TC could certainly be it, and is probably cheaper than a new valve body or serious valve body work.  The fluid is smelling a bit gurnt now all of a sudden too, so that could make sense.

If you have to get into that tranny, do the shift kit, governor pressure sensor and solenoid upgrade. Will do you a world of good for not that much money. If you have to have a torque converter I think a single disc billet converter will work for what you have unless you are planning on some major mods. Also get a B&M drain plug and a temp gauge. Change your fluid as often as you can afford it and keep your bands adjusted. Use a good quality atf+4 and filter. A built 47re isn't cheap so do these things to keep what you have going.

Yeah, if I pull it and do new bands, new TC, or new valve body I'll definitely do that stuff.  I'm just scared I won't be able to diagnose it correctly and will end up throwing a bunch of money at it.  And no, I'm certainly not doing big mods.  I'm all about dependability and some low end torque, not big power and smoke and tire squealing haha.  When/if I eventually have to do injectors, I'll do like 50 hp over or something modest and may eventually get fuel economy tunes if I can find a used tuner cheap.

That would cause a 2-3 no shift? It will not shift at all now. I figured it was a valve body issue but TC could certainly be it, and is probably cheaper than a new valve body or serious valve body work. The fluid is smelling a bit gurnt now all of a sudden too, so that could make sense.

Yeah, if I pull it and do new bands, new TC, or new valve body I'll definitely do that stuff. I'm just scared I won't be able to diagnose it correctly and will end up throwing a bunch of money at it. And no, I'm certainly not doing big mods. I'm all about dependability and some low end torque, not big power and smoke and tire squealing haha. When/if I eventually have to do injectors, I'll do like 50 hp over or something modest and may eventually get fuel economy tunes if I can find a used tuner cheap.

I'm the same way. Getting ready to buy single disc billet converter and then 50hp sticks. I'm more into dependability and efficiency.