• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

One last thing to do! (flatbed) BRAKE CONTROLLER

Hauled some cattle home yesterday with the new flatbed. Had to shorten up the gooseneck post on the trailer. The ball is sitting about 4-5 inches taller than the original one.

I sure don't miss the rattling of a self-destructing box!

Anyhow, I'm going 'full out' on this, (installing a new brake controller too)

This truck came with a controller, which for the life of me, couldn't make it work. Sooo, out it came. (8 years ago) I have an eye on a couple models to install.

So, when I wired up the flatbed and trailer harness, I went ahead and hooked up the light blue wire for the brake actuator circuit. Back half of truck is now done.

Where do I look for the front end of this light blue wire? It should be under the dash somewhere.. is there a plug in, or even a dangling wire labeled "trailer brake"? 8 years ago was a long time, and I'm sure I didn't 'label' it for future reference!

For hooking up a controller, I remember there being a owner supplied wire to a dedicated 12v supply, then I need to tap into the brake light circuit, ground, and last but not least, the wire sending juice back to the trailer.

If the truck came factory with a tow package there should be a factory plug up under the dash. It will be a 4 wire rectangular plug. You will be able to get a plug and play set up for the controller.

If not, then you just need power, ground, brake light switch input, and the wire heading to the back of the truck.

• Like 1

If the truck came factory with a tow package there should be a factory plug up under the dash. It will be a 4 wire rectangular plug. You will be able to get a plug and play set up for the controller.

If not, then you just need power, ground, brake light switch input, and the wire heading to the back of the truck.

I believe it did come with the tow package.  

The wiring harness  going to the rear  has  basically double the  wires..  "parallel circuits"    1 set for the  truck itself,   1 set for the  trailer plug.  (plus the  brake controller wire  )    

This  'plug'  you speak of,   is  a  free hanging  plug,  or   something   bulkheaded?        

Been  eyeing the  Tekonsha  P3 controller..

It will look like the big white plug in the pictures. This is actually the plug and play harness for our trucks. Most all brake controllers now days will be able to plug and play on the truck with this set up. Pretty much any controller made by tekonsha will be great. We sell a ton of them and hardly ever have issues. I have the P2 myself.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tekonsha+3020&FORM=HDRSC2

• Like 1

Cool!

P3  is  on the way!   got the   dodge  harness with it,  should make it a breeze.

Apparently,  all Dodge Rams  from  95-09  ALL  came with that  'splice'  under the  dash,  regardless of   tow package or not.     Should be  the  easiest part of  this  flatbed project!

$144  delivered to my door.

Man,  I wonder what it'll be like..... being able to stop!  :rolleyes:

All three of my  gooseneck trailers   have never been energized..   so they could be considered  brand new  brakes!!     (rusty as heck too)   Should be interesting the first time out!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...