• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transfer Case not allowing N or 4L

For some time now I have not been able to switch the Transfer case into N and therefore no 4l either.  I have 2wd and 4h.

This happened due to my dumbness.  Last year when I swapped my tranny I caused this.  I had the truck up on jack stands and the truck was idling and I was going between P R N D to make sure the tranny was working.  Now I made the mistake of testing the transfer case with the wheels off the ground so even in P the rear wheels were moving slowly. 

once I kicked it out of N iin the transfer case It grinded but finally went into 4l.  I then tried to go back to N in the Tcase and it grinded again and when into N.

After that I put the rear of the truck back down and it shifted into 2wd and 4 high fine, but no longer into n or 4 low. 

My question is how badly did I screw the transfer case up?  It is possible for the tcase to "out of sync" and therefore not sync?

Think it is possible to R&R the case or should I start looking for a new one at some point?

nick

• Like 1

I was using my gen 2 truck last week when we had the heavy snow here in Idaho and I could not get it to go into 4l or 4h.

I stopped the engine, shifted the transmission into N and tried with the trans in D and nothing I could do would allow the transfer case to go into 4l or 4h.

Found a vacuum leak and once I repaired that it worked just fine.  I was very surprised that was my issue but was also very glad it was nothing more serious. :)

The transfer case is really easy to tear apart... I did it twice in one day because it didn't seal up the first time. I don't think it could have damaged anything very bad though. Just like grinding the gears on a manual trans it isn't good but I doubt you broke anything major

Is your shifter in the same place as it normally supposed to be? Linkage could have slipped, or something in the case has moved. If you need to pull the case apart make sure you replace the plastic wear pads on the mode and range forks. Here is a diagram of the 241 DHD case and the DLD is the same inside: http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/mm5/graphics/pdf/np241dhd-2012.pdfOne question I have is why was the rear wheels spinning if your transmission was in park? That should be physicaly impossible.

Sorry N not park is when the wheels were spinning.  it's been a long time so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Shifter is in the right spot.  I am guessing the range selector section is screwed up.

Edited by me78569

Sorry N not park is when the wheels were spinning.  it's been a long time so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Shifter is in the right spot.  I am guessing the range selector section is screwed up.

Well, that makes a difference. Sounds like it is time to pull the case apart. They are pretty easy to repair. You can even leave the case bolted to the transmission while you repair it.

I was wondering if I could just split the housing with the transfer case attached to the tranny. 

Not sure I want to do this during the winter though, I might wait until spring haha.  looking at a 241dhd iI am guessing my issue is in the range selector collar, I think I screwed something up there.

For future reference, you can not shift the transfer case into neutral with an automatic trans before going into 4lo. You have to go straight from the high side to the low side without pausing in neutral. If you do stop in neutral, your have to shut the truck off and then shift to prevent gear clash. Both auto trucks I have owned have been finicky going into 4lo and the smoothest transistion is rolling at 2-3 mph, throw trans in neutral and shift directly from high to low side.. If I am stationary and it doesn't want to go, I'll shut the truck off and shift into 4low (trans in neutral) and restart. The key is to avoid that gear clash.