• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery Drain

Check for draw. Since you passing power into the seat motors some how draining on the batteries then the switch must be making a weak connection.

You could unhook each seat motor one at a time to see which switch could be causing it. When you find the motor that is bleeding the current then when it unhooked the draw will vanish.

Moparman I bet it's the seatbelt retractor circut that's causing the problem. Didn't that year have that type on them. Most all current draws I have found on these trucks are either that or the glove box light/switch brakes off and hangs in the glove box and drains the batteries.

But it should be on a different circuit though. Electric seats are on a circuit breaker and the seat belt module should be on a normal fuse.

I worked on one not long ago and the only fuse that killed the seat belt module was the IOD fuse. Just like the glove box light that drained my battery that was the only fuse that killed it also. The seat belt retractor unlocks when you get out of the truck and have the key off and then in five or so minutes it locks because it goes into a sleep mode or something as such. It may be the other way around too like lock then in five minutes unlocks in sleep mode. I check by hooking up the vom and seeing the readings and waiting for fifteen minutes if no change reach under there and unplug the seat belt module and then see the readings if it drops below 50 ma I know it's the problem. The op may also be unplugging it think it's just part of the electric seats.

Edited by redwagon02

Moparman maybe you could look at some prints of the seatbelt module circuit and see just how it works. I don't know really know how it does and would be interested in seeing it myself. You probably have the prints at the ready. My boy has a 98 with that setup on it I think but the 02 I have doesn't.

Edited by redwagon02

I'll have to check mine, as they have seat belts built onto the seats & factory ones bolted to the cab (Someone swapped the seats).Looks to be 3 wires feeding them & I have the built in switches. Must be the Quadcab setup. Johnfak, if you need the seatbelt systems, I can pull mine for you.

Ed

Edited by Yankneck696

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a similar problem...about 470 mAmp continuous drain - and I figured I would post my troubleshooting results here.

Per the Tech Manual - the Ignition Off Device Fuse provides power to the very few items that need to stay powered up with the key off...maybe 10 to 20 mAmps.  I was way past that, and the truck batteries (both fairly new) would drain down over 3 or 4 days.

I hooked up a milliamp meter between the negative terminal of the passenger side battery and then disconnected the driver side battery negative terminal.  (This keeps any surging on power on/power off from occurring.)  With the meter in place - I saw about 470 mAmps.  I proceeded to disconnect 1 fuse at a time, check current reading - then re-insert.  I did this for every fuse in the dash fuse block and in the Power Distribution panel under the hood.  NO CHANGE.  Very frustrating.  So - I disconnected all fuses and left them out.  Still the same reading.  (Actually -when pulling the IOD fuse, the current drain decreased by about 15 mAmps.)

I then even disconnected the red lead to the power distribution block AND the black lead from the alternator.  Still saw 470 mAmps.  Okay - at this point - the only 'un-lifted positive lead went to the engine starter.  So - I went under the truck to see if there were any power wires going from the starter main power lead to some other location.  NONE.  

HOWEVER  - it was a bit dirty and greasy on/around the starter terminal - so I wiped everything down and cleaned up around the main power lead and the starter terminal.  Checked the ammeter - and the current drain was gone.  

I was more than a bit surprised - oil and grease are not conductive....but with enough moisture and enough dirt, apparently there was a low resistance path (maybe about 25 ohms) for current to flow.  After cleaning...the battery drain is a normal 10 to 15 mAmps - as expected, and my battery is not being discharged over a few days.

Moral of the story - cleanliness might not be next to Godliness - but it sure can eliminate some bad battery draining resistance!