• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Used Edge EZ - Surged, no throttle response, then stalled out

Hey guys,

Well I went ahead and bought that used Edge EZ off Kijiji for $150.  Put it on Friday night.. and I THINK it was working.. although there definitely wasn't a night and day difference.  Ran fine yesterday the couple times I took the truck out..  then tonight, when I was driving my son to soccer, I was braking for a red light and the truck surged for a second on it's own.  When the light turned green I went to accelerate and there was no throttle response at all.. it was just idling.  I put it in neutral and it started to slowly idle up again on it's own - but still a dead pedal.. at about 2000rpm I put it back in drive..  and pulled off to the side of the road.  Put it in park and it stumbled and stalled out..  Tried to start it again and it just cranked.. no response.  I have a fuel pressure gauge and it was sitting steady at 19psi this whole time.  Thought to myself.. "well the only thing that has changed is the Edge EZ".. so popped the hood and unplugged the EZ.  Started right back up and everything is fine again.  

Any ideas?  I think i'm going to give Edge a call tomorrow and see if maybe I can send it in to them to get refurbished.  That's one frustrating thing about buying used.. you never know for sure what you're getting.  Buddy told me "it was working fine when we took it off the truck, we just upgraded to an Edge JWA"..  it was on a truck at his work.  Frustrating.  

Edited by birchy

I helped figure one out that would start normal and have proper throttle response for the first five seconds then dead pedal and you could turn the key off and hold it in your hand while the engine kept idling. Contact EDGE and see what they say.

Thanks guys - I'll give Edge a call and see what they say.

I'm also going to try contacting the guy who sold it to me and see if he'll take it back and give me my money back...  but I highly doubt it.  That's one thing about buying used on Classifieds sites..  "buyer beware".  Tried to save myself some money buying used..  if I have to send it back to Edge for $200 plus shipping and US to Canadian exchange rate..  I'm going to end up at the point where I could have just bought a new one.  Then... if I'm in for $400..  I might as well just save the extra $175 and get the Comp.    :duh:  Oh well.. live and learn.

Edited by birchy

Sad... I typically suggest buying new so at least you get manufacture support and warranty on your new toy.

That is the nice thing about Edge. At least in my experience they don't care where you got the module. They will take care of it for you. My comp came with the truck when I bought it and I had to send it back a couple years ago. As long as it still had the serial number on the module they will service it for ya. No warranty card or anything. There is the $200 fee for rebuild or replace, whatever it requires though.

birchy, you might give them a call, I think when I sent mine in they covered shipping both ways. It may be different from Canada though.

Forgot to update this.. sorry guys. Called Edge and they confirmed it's too old to repair (it actually didn't even have a serial number sticker.. must have fallen/rubbed off).

They offered to let me send it in and upgrade to an Edge Comp for $233!

• Like 1

My truck came with the edge mileage max.I started having problems so I unplugged it and it fixed it. Luckily I drive past edge every day so I had them test it. It was bad they offered me an upgrade but I didn't do it yet. I'm not sure if it's worth it. I drove my truck 2 and a half years with it 6 months without and maybe there's a little diference in power and response but I get the same gas mileage as I always have. So i'm not really impressed.I want better gas mileage I tow my camp trailer 3 or 4 times a year.

You get GAS mileage from your truck??? :ahhh:  Sorry, I couldn't help it :ashamed:  Anyhow, unless you try a new unit you won't know if it works or not. If you get it and don't like it you can always sell it.