• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stock transmission with 125 sticks

I have the torque converter lockup switch, and wanted to know if I can use the 125 sticks for more power towing when I am locked up. I am towing 12000 lbs with stock truck and finding when going up Hills with over drive off I can't maintain speed and drop to 2nd gear. Then engine temp goes up and of course transmission temp as well. I am afraid that if I hit a big Hill I will need to pull over to cool transmission. I don't want to have to stop so I was thinking if I had a little more power I might be able to keep it locked up in 3rd and not drop down to 2nd and over heat transmission. Have Turner set to tow safe with bhaf and 4 inch exhaust. And my max exhaust temp was 1300 before turbo. Any input would be nice!

Without a better VB and converter you will smoke the stock tranny quickly. The low pressure the factory VB supplies to the already subpar factory lockup clutch makes for a bad combo when adding power. Best spend the 1500 bucks up front and get a better VB and converter and the rest of the tranny will be ok.

You also do not to need to get double disc or triple disc converters either a good quality single disc will be a great choice. I ran a BD Torque loc , VB and single disc BD converter rated at 450 hp behind my 560HP cummins for over 100K trouble free miles and dozens of sled pull hooks and several drag strip runs as well over the years. Sold the pickup with a bit over 150K on it and the tranny never gave me an issue but I added the parts before I added power which helped the cause.

• Like 1

If you use those sticks and a lockup switch you will smoke the OEM converter. 

VB and TC are needed. 

Cummins states the max temp for EGT is 1250* prlonged.

something seems off here.  how about a little more insight into your setup?  

What tuner:

What rearend gears?

What size tires?

what kind of hils are we talking about? Location?

Edited by me78569

Pre turbo is what is normally used. 

Cummins 1250*f is preturbo also.

Have you done any boost leak tests?  what boost levels are you seeing?  where are you located at?  What grade hill's do you have issues with?

Towing about 10k or so here in the rockies with my tuner set to level 2 ( guessing a little more agressive than superchip in tow mode) I have a hard time seeing EGTS above 1100*f.

• Like 1

In Oregon but want to do some atv ridding in Idaho and Nevada. 18psi. I have the HY turbo (known for high egt) . Grade of Hill? I have no idea. if to guess I would say 5 and up are my problem. No leak check but I don't suspect any.

I would check for boost leaks.

1300 *f at 18psi and stock fuel doesn't add up.  I am guessing you have a boost leak causing a lacking in power, high egts, and overheating issues. 

On stock Fuel a hy35 will be fine.  The Hy35 starts to get out of it's map at 32ish psi so you have more than enough air with a superchips tuner set to tow.  You shouldn't have egt issues.

your overheating issue won't go away with more fuel.  Your issues are likely a boost leak.  You could test this by pulling off the tuner, and doing the same test.  If you see more than 1250*f pulling a load on a stock truck you have something wrong.  Dodge/Cummins wouldn't tune a truck that runs above the 1250*f in stock form.  I have never seen over 1100*f with the tuner off, and I am at 7000*f in the Rockies.

Beyond that you could gain some power / cool things off ( once current issues are fixed) with a J hook to hold the wastegate closed beyond 22psi.  Also verify that your superchips does boost fooling, if it doesn't ditch the superchips and get another small tuner that does boost fooling.\

Regardless of all of this you need to put money into your tranny.  The OEM setup will not hold much, if any, power over stock.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/revmax-converters/452148-47re-stock-transmission-upgrade-list-sticky.html

Edited by me78569

Where in Oregon are you? I can probably get you hooked up with everything you would need to get your truck up and over any of the hills around here. I climb hood 6% grade at 65 with my setup and only see 1100* with the overdrive off Smarty on setting 6 and edge comp on 5x1.

I have the torque converter lockup switch, and wanted to know if I can use the 125 sticks for more power towing when I am locked up. I am towing 12000 lbs with stock truck and finding when going up Hills with over drive off I can't maintain speed and drop to 2nd gear. Then engine temp goes up and of course transmission temp as well. I am afraid that if I hit a big Hill I will need to pull over to cool transmission. I don't want to have to stop so I was thinking if I had a little more power I might be able to keep it locked up in 3rd and not drop down to 2nd and over heat transmission. Have Turner set to tow safe with bhaf and 4 inch exhaust. And my max exhaust temp was 1300 before turbo. Any input would be nice!

As for the transmission, you need the trans lockup mod for 2nd gear climbing hills. Recently added it to mine and love it. I highly recommend Mojave Green torque converters.

Without a better VB and converter you will smoke the stock tranny quickly. The low pressure the factory VB supplies to the already subpar factory lockup clutch makes for a bad combo when adding power. Best spend the 1500 bucks up front and get a better VB and converter and the rest of the tranny will be ok.

You also do not to need to get double disc or triple disc converters either a good quality single disc will be a great choice. I ran a BD Torque loc , VB and single disc BD converter rated at 450 hp behind my 560HP cummins for over 100K trouble free miles and dozens of sled pull hooks and several drag strip runs as well over the years. Sold the pickup with a bit over 150K on it and the tranny never gave me an issue but I added the parts before I added power which helped the cause.

I agree with wild and free. Even with stock sticks I put in a shift kit and installed a an entry level single disc billet low stall torque converter. Also installed upgraded governor pressure sensor and solenoid. It made my truck a whole different animal when towing even with the very few mods that I have. And don't forget regular service and band adjustment on that tranny! With the 125 sticks I would buy a valve body instead of the shift kit.

When my 02 was 100% stock I could get converter lockup shudder shudder at hard shift and once I added a mere edge ez I could totally slip the stock converter lockup clutch with only 25-30K miles on it with no load on it to boot just normal driving under hard accel.