• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE to NV4500 swap with minor issues

• Staff
I just swapped out my good non-slipping 99 4x4 47re trans and installed a brand new South Bend clutch/flywheel kit, rebuilt NV4500 trans, and changed the input shaft on my 241DLD t-case. My friend entered my VIN into the PCM so there would not be any VIN mismatch codes thrown.

I swapped out my auto PCM with a 99 Dodge Cummins 5 speed PCM, connected the two outer wires from the auto trans NSS to the nv4500 reverse lights switch, ran the black/white tracer center wire up to the CSS, and then grounded the 2nd wire on the CSS to the left side under the dash where there is a common ground point. I'm still using the factory auto instrument cluster and the auto trans PCM wiring harness.

I pulled out my instrument cluster and removed the PRNDL shift indicator and installed the manual trans blank that goes in that spot.

The only issues I have are the seat belt light goes out after starting the motor, but then it comes back on and stays on while the pickup is running. My cruise control works fine like it should, decel, accel, and set, but the cruise light on the dash does not come on now except it does come on when initially turning the key on.

I haven't swapped the steering column out, still using the auto column with the shifter removed.

The cruise light worked before the swap, and cruise control itself works after the 5 speed swap, but the light does not light up now on the dash.

• Staff

Power wise, it's like driving a different pickup.

I do have a 99 ECM from a manual Cummins 3500 if I want to go through the hassle of programming my VIN into it and testing it out. Everything worked like normal before my auto to 5 speed swap, and the only wiring I did was the auto neutral safety switch 3 wires - two outside wires to 5 speed reverse light switch, and center black/white tracer wire up to one side of the CSS, and the other wire from the CSS to ground. Has anyone just used the auto PCM and not had any issues after the swap?

• 1 month later...

Don't worry about your vin number not being in the pcm, it means nothing to the truck. I did the swap and had several different pcm/Ecm combos and the truck didn't care. Pull the bulb for the seat belt and I can't help with the cruise. Everything worked like it came from factory with mine but I never had a seat belt light to began with.

Edited by 98whitelightnin

wondering  about the  old  column itself.     Is  there  a  position  sensor  in those  for  PRNDL  too?   might be  sending  some  goofy   info back to pcm.. which it can't handle

seeing  most of your  problems are in the cluster,   I'd  take back out and    check the  (not sure what ya call it)  'connection strip'??   

before  doing this,  just whack the  dash  with your  palm a couple times..

• Like 1