• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Check gauges idiot light stays on

Hawk,

Sorry its been throwing a P1698 code for months now but the "check engine" light has stayed on this long. so did not associate it with that. 

Thx, FT

"

P1689 No Communication Between ECM And VP44

"

Edited by FlatTwin

When the :gages: light comes on it means there is a gauge outside its normal value.

Are any gauges showing extremely low or high readings?

You might want to check the cluster.

Mike, 

Other than the three (oil pressure, water temp and tach) gauges that die when the CCD error light comes on, no, they all appear to be working great. 

Thx, Joe

Cluster seem to function correctly and didn't throw any codes during the test. typically it would throw a 3 digit code. (900 to 999)

Thanks so whats my next step with this P1698 code for the last several months... its not the relay, its not the Cam Sensor... 

Well its been at the mechanic's for over a day now. I did what I could do so took it to them. They are experts with Dodge Cummins and really nice guys.

Wiring and so on is fine and now they feel that its the computer bolted to the block thats throwing the error codes.

They will have another 2002 in the shop later and are taking the computer off of that truck (with the owners permission, a friend of theirs) to check and see if that takes care of the CCD error message, codes and non-working gauges. 

Have heard that this computer aint cheap....  wonderful... 

Being the ECM is the failure may sure the alternator isn't the cause either.

Thanks Mike and they checked it out and said that its ok for now but truthfully for the $100 it costs, as far as I know I believe that it has 160k miles on it and am going to replace it.... 

hey, I learned something over on lostjeeps..

'gauge self check'. I dunno if this is a whole Chrysler thing, or for earlier (late 90's stuff) but somehow there is a way to push in the trip odometer, turn the key on, release the trip odometer, and the gauges do a self check... Does this ring any bells??

hey, I learned something over on lostjeeps..

'gauge self check'. I dunno if this is a whole Chrysler thing, or for earlier (late 90's stuff) but somehow there is a way to push in the trip odometer, turn the key on, release the trip odometer, and the gauges do a self check... Does this ring any bells??

If you look in my post above it shows me doing the "Gauge cluster check" .... Mike posted this on YouTube a while back and its a good tip!