• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

House Fire Call in Riggins, Idaho

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I was called to a house fire last night in Riggins, Idaho. This one is rather odd. The owner just bought the house just a few weeks ago and also just after the purchase of house he installed a brand new energy efficient wood stove. The last night went over to stoke up the fire and when he opened the stove door the stove back drafted on him. When this occur it burned the home owner from the flash of fire also it ejected other flaming material out into the room. All I can say is the house is a complete loss. The theory on cause is possibly using un-cured wood that is way too wet. Or... Improper operation of the stove choking it down really low to save wood.

Please people be careful with heating appliances...

We've had minor flashbacks on our stove. Good reason to crack open the door and allow smoke etcetera to go up the chimney before swinging it open. If you're buring really cranked down to extend burn time, not a bad idea to open the draft and allow the stove to resparate before opening. You gotta be smarter than the stove.

We've had minor flashbacks on our stove. Good reason to crack open the door and allow smoke etcetera to go up the chimney before swinging it open. If you're buring really cranked down to extend burn time, not a bad idea to open the draft and allow the stove to resparate before opening. You gotta be smarter than the stove.

That's it. He more than likely had the stove shut down good and once he opened the door the stove experienced the same thing as a flash over causing an exlosion of flame and literally blowing fire, embers, and sparks out.

So the assumption is that he didn't crack the door a little first before opening it?

I can see how that would cause backdrafting... Wet wood would definitely compound the problem. But on the other hand that smoke needs to be very hot to flash like that.

I wonder if there was enough proper drafting for the pipe and not causing a reverse air flow.

• Staff

I have played around with that situation. Shut it all the way down long enough to build up explosive gasses then wide open both draft with door shut. As soon as a flame resumes it explodes and knocks some of the creosote down from the chimney. Sorry to hear this guy got hurt though :pray:

Edited by JAG1

I have played around with that situation. Shut it all the way down long enough to build up explosive gasses then wide open both draft with door shut. As soon as a flame resumes it explodes and knocks some of the creosote down from the chimney. Sorry to hear this guy got hurt though :pray:

Hope you have your stove pipe sections screwed together!!!  Been stories of back puffing that blow the stove pipe sections apart!!  Try putting the sections back together while they're hot and the stove is pouring smoke into the room!!!

Edited by dorkweed
  • Like 1