• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12 Valve DataLogger!

I'm pretty excited!  I've been working on this project off an on for about a year, and finally took it for a test drive today!  There are a couple bugs that showed themselves, but it worked well enough to get a little data from.

These are all at 1/2 second update rate, forgot to change it back to a little faster rate before taking off.  RPM also seems to give weird readings at times, not sure if that's a software or hardware issue.

This one is starting in 2nd going up a small hill.  Totalling about 1:45 minutes.

screenshot_208.png

I "benched" my wastegate and have it so it just starts to open at 20 psi, so it seems to be working as it should.  I have to adjust the rod for a little higher pressure.

The first half of this one is road, the second is pulling in the driveway, and parking haha. totalling about 5 minutes. (this is me testing some things, not exactly my normal driving habits lol.)

screenshot_209.png

Hopefully I can get a couple more sensors working for next time.  But over all, I think it went well for the maiden voyage!

It's homemade, I've had a bunch of help from a friend who is much more fluent in this stuff then me.

The data gets saved on a SD card in a .csv format.

Here's the latest, not many changes sense this video.  Now that the software is just about done, I'll try and get a video of everything.  

More info?!  I don't know what else to tell you.  I don't have any experience with the CAN BUS, but if go on google or youtube, you'll see where lots of people have done it.  I would do it on mine, but there isn't that much data to be read from the CAN BUS.  RPM, MPH, Water Temp, and that's about it for the 12 valves IIRC.

The code compiles to 111kb... I'm not even going to start try to explain it further then that, unless someone cares.  I'm using the arduino Due and designed my own shield for it, there are however a couple things I am going to change on it for the next go around.  

But as is I'm using a MAX31855 thermocouple to SPI chip, and then a CD4051 multiplexer to give me 8 temp inputs.  The pressure reading is simple, though I've got a bit of over/under voltage protection added, and a resistor divider to work with  the 3v3 logic.

RPM/MPH will be read through a LM393 to give me some protection.

I've got a plug-in for an SD card, though I am currently using the SD card holder on the back of the LCD.

I have a DS1307 RTC on board as well, but I am not currently using it.

1. Arduino Due
  2. 4.3" TFT display with shield
  3. Pressure Sensors
  4. EGT Thermocouple
  5. PCB designed with Diptrace

Electrical components;

1. 1 x MAX31855
  2. 1 x CD4051
  3. 1 x DS1307
  4. 1 x LM393
  5. 1 x TC26H 32.768kHz Crystal
  6. 1 x 2032 Battery Holder
  7. 2 x 8 pin DIP socket
  8. 1 x 16 pin DIP socket
  9. 10 x 2 pin angle connector
  10. 3 x 3 pin angle connector
  11. 1 x 8 pin angle connector
  12. 1 x 4 pin 3.96mm angle connector
  13. 5 x 8 pin header
  14. 1 x 10 pin header
  15. 1 x 2x3 pin header
  16. 1 x 18x2 pin header
  17. 2 x 100n ceramic capacitor
  18. 5 x 1N4148 diode
  19. 2 x 270r 1/4 watt resistor
  20. 1 x 1k 1/4 watt resistor
  21. 3 x 1k1 1/4 watt resistor
  22. 3 x 3k9 1/4 watt resistor
  23. 5 x 10k 1/4 watt resistor
  24. 2 x 100k 1/4 watt resistor
  25. 3 x 1M 1/4 watt resistor
  26. 2 x 3mm LED

Power Supply

1. 1 x LM2596T-ADJ
  2. 1 x AIUR - 08 Inductor
  3. 1 x LM317BT
  4. 1 x LM7805
  5. 1 x 1N5822
  6. 4 x 1N4007
  7. 1 x 2 pin connector
  8. 2 x 100u Capacitor
  9. 2 x 470u Capacitor
  10. 1 x 1k 1/4 watt resistor
  11. 1 x 5k5 1/4 watt resistor
  12. 1 x 2.1mm DC plug
  13. 1 x 4 pin 3.96mm Connector
  14. 1 x 12 volt relay
  15. 1 x heat sink

Main board

screenshot_151.png

Power Supply

screenshot_153.png

Schematics:

Pressure Sensor interface: http://s20.postimg.org/pwkz4h6ct/screenshot_145.png

RTC: http://s20.postimg.org/4o7an1rvx/screenshot_146.png

Variable Reluctance Sensor interface: http://s20.postimg.org/dyjeql2lp/screenshot_148.png

Thermocouple Interface: http://s20.postimg.org/vedksa1kd/screenshot_150.png

LED's: http://s20.postimg.org/tvi6nauzx/screenshot_147.png

Power Supply: http://s20.postimg.org/59w9j5my5/screenshot_152.png

Total cost,  $300-400.

I don't mean to make you pull all the info out of me, but this isn't a simple "plug and play" deal, you pretty much have to design it for yourself.

• Owner

:thud: OMG! Cowboy! :thud:

Very Very Impressive. Now seeing what you've done is more or less made a standalone gauge set for the 12V truck that doesn't rely on the CCD network or the CANBUS. I to the point now I want to start building something too. I was so impressed by that I need to get digging for something for the 24V now. I do like you design a bunch because its completely standalone and doesn't rely on any engine sensor or computer information. (12V on have the PCM for minor stuff...)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I got some more sensors hooked up.  Just a note, there are spikes in the RPM and MPH readings due to lousy connections, I'll get around to fixing that at some point.

screenshot_214.png

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd bring this back up, here's one of the latest datalogs I got, it's 4th gear from a roll, the first hump in data around 1150 RPM is a user mistake, the second around 1800 rpm is likely my clutch slipping.  Also, the pre and post IC temps are "stepped" because I only read them every second or so.

Click the image to make it bigger.

4thFromaroll.png

• Like 1