• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New arrival to the collection!

Wild and Free

Wife just sealed the deal on an almost new 2014 VW Jetta 2.0 l. TDI 6 speed manual with only 1300 miles on it. She is a very happy camper today. Going to put the 03 Jetta 1.9 l. TDI 5 speed w/ 271K miles on it up for grabs in a couple weeks after we know for sure there are not going to be any gremlins to work out with the new one, shouldn't take long as she puts between 500-600 miles a week on her car.

I can't believe how much more power this thing has compared to the 03.

This thing has quite a lot more cab space than the 03 as well, seats are wider and more comfy plus heated leather which my wife is already loving the feel of.

Not sure if all saw the previous thread about it but it was a collision repaired vehicle with a salvaged title but the damage was non structural and only replacement bolt on parts needed, no body work other than paint for the new hood and bumper.

Figured I would share a few pics of it as it is now and of the damage.

Got it for about 4500 under book value. New battery and a 30 day guarantee that the AC works since they replaced all the coolers and radiator and condenser, just wanted it in writing in case they failed to get it sealed up or charged correctly, hopefully it gets warm enough in the next month to put it to the test. Now just a test of time to see how long before there is a rooster pheasant embedded in the grill as they are just starting their spring fighting rituals in the middle of the roads and vehicles just are not in their sites at this time............................hormones. :ahhh:

14ND21F.1.JPG

14ND21F.2.JPG

14ND21F.3.JPG

14ND21F.6.JPG

19355214_9X.JPG

19355214_7X.JPG

19355214_1X.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good Bill! We were going to get my wife a TDI Jetta back in 2011 but they couldn't meet us on price. It was a 6 speed and I killed that thing probably 5 times trying to get out of the dealer lot, I was used to the roar of a straight pipe cummins with torque and I couldn't hear the darn thing running.

Edited by 98whitelightnin
  • Like 1

Both my wife and I have both killed this one as well, just a new learning curve trying to get the feel of the power and clutch. If it wouldn't have been for the great car the 03 has been we probably wouldn't have looked twice at this one.

271K and absolutely nothing but basic maintenance items and still going strong but is getting close to needing a clutch, doesn't slip but is getting towards the top of the pedal in stroke and is getting a bit hard, not bad for the OEM one to make it that long especially with the amount of town driving it sees daily as well.

The 2014 MK6 Jetta is a so much bigger car than the 2003 MK3 Jetta, a ton more room in the cab and trunk and way more comfy to drive and ride in than the 03.

Warranty?

Not anymore, once the title is zinged as damaged the factory warranty is gone unless the repair was done at the dealer and or with 100% OEM parts............that said, if I run into any issues I am going to the dealer with sealed lips to see if they catch it or not, see if they have the VIN # in their data base as such or not...........................won't hurt to try then play innocent stupid if they reject the warranty.   :whistle:  :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Well she has about 2500 miles on it now and not a single issue, just like a brand new car like it is in reality. I can't seem to get her to keep track of mileage though..... :rolleyes:

I have put about a hundred miles on it myself just to get a feel for it, it is fun to drive and a lot more comfy than the 03, very peppy 2.0 l TDI and super fast turbo spool up compared to our cummins, no comparison. Can't seem to get the shift pattern spacing down quite right with the 6 speed yet, gears are so close together I end up shifting down two gears instead of up one sometimes good thing it doesn't have a short shifter unit in it, I would be in real trouble. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I like that car. Noticed the speedometer goes to 160 :) . I noticed a lot of Cummins guys go to the German TDI for a good match up for the wifey.

Wish I could but she wanted a Subaru. Want to say the advertisement for Subaru has noting to do with the type of people that drive them. :thumb1:

My wife was looking at the new Subarus too but the mid 20's for mileage was the major downfall for her after driving 40+ mpg cars for the last 20 years, front wheel drives with studded tire up front and she has passed and driven by every other rig on the road in bad weather so trying to tell her she needed an AWD was a joke. In 20 years she got stuck one time, she hit a 3 foot deep drift that had a hard crust and went up over and then dropped in and got hung up. This with about as low of cars as one can drive, a 95 Dodge neon and the 03 Jetta.

• Like 1

There is a guy at work that drives a 12 Jetta TDI 80 miles each way, 5 days a week.  its got over 80k on it and he has done nothing aside from oil changes and tire rotations. I hear the only thing to worry about on these cars are the DSG trans but I don't know if the bugs have been worked out on the newer models. At the very least they are expensive to maintain.

Our 01 TDI is still just a pup at 145,000 miles. Aside from the 5th gear failure which was a $300 fix its been a fantastic car with excellent mpg. Oh, we also had to install an aluminum skid pan under it after I grenaded the cheap plastic POS originally on those cars when I cased a chunk of ice in the road. I about ate my shorts on that one, sounded like it was about to come through the floor board. These cars have almost no ground clearance.

I put the aluminum panzer plate from dieselgeek.com on the 03 almost as soon as I bought it because we run so much country roads. Already have the skid plate in the garage for the 2014 just waiting for the first oil change to install it and the tdi frost heater at the same time.

Can't say there is anything expensive at all to maintaining these things, not sure where you are coming from there, the 03 has been the cheapest vehicle I have ever owned as far as maintenance is concerned.

Japanese got absolutely nothing up on German quality. :thumb1:  If I was writing the checks and it wasn't another VW it would be a Mercedes or Beemer for a high mileage low maintenance car.

Had something happen this morning that has never happened before in my life, Guy called me up and thanked me for the nice car, said he is enjoying it a lot and was truly amazed at how good of shape it was in, he was very apprehensive at first having 271K miles but after a couple days of driving it realized how nice it still is and wanted to let me know and thank me for the care I took in it over the years. :thumb1:

• Like 1