• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bully Dog Platinum upgrade ?

Ed's5.9

Hi everyone, I was one of the uneducated consumers of a Bully Dog triple dog GT tuner, at the time I was new to diesel trucks and just purchased the name that everyone tosses around. Later I found out that for my goals the Bully Dog would just not suit my needs so I unmarried it and now just use it for it's gauges. The reason I am revisiting tuners is because I am in the process of having a transmission built and figured this would be a good time to get a tuner that better suits my mods. 

I just found out that BullyDog is finally accepting custom tunes and I can actually upgrade to the software that will allow my tuner to accept custom tunes for free and then go to one of their registered local tuners and purchase a custom tune (not sure what tuning prices are yet). Now, in contrast to all of that Smarty has also released their Touch screen display model tuner which has peaked my interest but I wanted to hear what everyone here has to say about all of this. Is it worth the time and money to try out the new Bully Dog Custom tune software? Even though the software is free I’m sure that dyno time and tuning fees will be in the $400-$500 range or should I just move on and go with the Smarty ($935 for the hardware with 10 pre programmed power options and future dyno tuning capabilities)? :popcorn:

Well I am on hold with BD tech support now becasue I was going to download the software to my PC as they advised on their website that it will only be free untill 4/3/15 but I coul not find an option for 5.9 Cummins. Also found out that its not actually a software that you down load they actually just register/activate your serial number to allow for custom tuning. Before getting transferred to tech support the cust svc rep did advise that Innovative diesel is the only company offering custom tunes for diesel engines.  

Ok spoke to a tech at BD and he advised that they are not building custom tunes for the 5.9 equipped trucks yet but I can still register my tuner for when they do have custom tune support. I am going to touch base with innovative diesel see if they know anything different.

I am pretty heavily involved in Smarty tuning and have not heard much, if any, talk of the BD custom route. 

My 0.02 is switch to Smarty and sell the BD stuff

I was thinking the same thing but the only thing that was stopping me before was the fact that I cant seem to find any buyers for the BD and I didn't want to spend on new gauges and on a smarty tuner. But that is now a mute point with the Smarty Touch :thumb1:

Edited by Ed's5.9

craigslist has worked great for me

We have an online classified site here in State based out of Bismarck that blows CL out of the water. Here in ND CL is a dead zone and can't compete with this local site, if you have something here in ND to sell this is the go to site.

But for the Smarty JR with the small amount of folks who would be interested in it e-bay would be better for an item like that I think.

http://www.bismanonline.com/

We have an online classified site here in State based out of Bismarck that blows CL out of the water. Here in ND CL is a dead zone and can't compete with this local site, if you have something here in ND to sell this is the go to site.

But for the Smarty JR with the small amount of folks who would be interested in it e-bay would be better for an item like that I think.

http://www.bismanonline.com/

Once I get the truck back from the shop I'll pull the BD out, post it on ebay with a reserve and see if it sells. It's just a shame that I paid close to $500 for the BD then another $150 for the docking module and there is a good chance that I wont get over $250 for all of it ... :duh:

Also I got final word from Inovative Diesel, Bullydog is only offering custom tunes on the Fords and there is no confirmation when and if they will be offering this option for dodge in the future.

• 1 month later...