• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New tire recommendations

I just got back yesterday from Les Schwab, all new tires and wheels, I was still on the 16.5 wheels of which they are either slowly disappearing, no longer available and too expensive and hard to find.  I went with Toyo tires.  I went with the Open Country A/T II on the Ultra 178 Mongoose  17inch.  By the way did any of you know about this weird spacer that Dodge put on these trucks on the passenger front?  It was news to me.   I'm gonna clean up the old wheels and the tires of which have 50% left on the treads and sell them.  You can still see the siping marks on them.  The manager at Les Schwab said I should be able to get $400 for them no problem.  The new setup....$2100!!!  YIKES!  But you know something, I bought this truck in 2001, and its been such a great truck, and I can't believe its in this good of shape after all these years.  No major issues except the tranny unlocking and locking up which from this site I was able to finally fix!

20150512_154802_resized_zpsxsfkfga9.jpg

Edited by deej

What is that big structure in the background? What area of the country is that, looks like Seattle area? Looks nice both the country ad the ride. :thumb1:

Its a drilling platform, first one I ever saw in person. I've been as facinated with the structures as the ships that carry them.  Right now its in Port Angeles Wa, on its way to Seattle for repairs.  Its been in the news, I guess there are greenies protesting its arival...well just about anywhere.  It's slated to head to seattle in a few days.

Nice truck and rig. What size toyos?

The Toyo tires are the Open Country LT-285-70R17, I only put 80 miles on them but man are they quieter than my other tires.

Is that an 'off-shore' drilling platform in the background ?

What a great looking truck you have ........ Truck of the Month ??

Yes drill rig of some sort, I had the name yesterday but I forgot it.  I looked it up, it's the Polar Pioneer.

Edited by deej
  • Like 1

My wife and I spent a week in that area over the 4th of July almost 3 years ago, was beautiful sunny and could see the mountains in the distance every day, my relatives said we need to visit more often because that rarely happens to have clear conditions that many days in a row. We spent 2 days on the peninsula and drove through Port Angeles and a day on San Juan island and a couple days in Seattle and down in Portland and to Mt Hood one day as well during the week there.

• 4 weeks later...

Approaching almost 71,000 miles on my Cooper Discoverer AT3's in stock size LT265/70 17E.  Will be looking at getting replacement for these come Winter time.  Should have close to 80,000 miles on these by then.  Gonna be looking for sales/rebates.

Looking at these for replacement.          http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000019974.html    I truly want to see if I can get better mileage with a slightly taller but narrower tire in my truck.  The "stock" size and the size I linked both weigh the same.  They get good reviews also.  JFYI, this is only 1 of 2 tires that is just slightly narrower, but taller than stock in 17" rim size.  The other is a mud style tire.  I do not like the wide tall look that the young guys prefer nowadays.  Pizza cutters rule!!