• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty Touch Install on 05 Cummins

Ok here is the skinny on my Smarty touch install with pics of where I stuffed things. I put all of the wiring and remote module in the open compartment of the left side of the dash where on some models there would be a fuse panel but in my case it was an open void just the perfect size for the touch components. There was an opening in the dash frame just the perfect size to get the OBDII cable end through and the other thing with the orange and yellow dot is the EGT probe hookup point which converts to the Touch module with another cable all of which wrapped up nicely and all fit in the cubby together.

I think the pics will be self explanatory but you can ask about the specific ones if needed.

post-180-0-16030800-1432391957_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-45756300-1432392007_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-73156600-1432392117_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-95074100-1432392443_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-68460200-1432392494_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-04996800-1432392546_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-44724600-1432392592_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-89989400-1432392647_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And a few pics of the monitor stuck and ready for the programming, need to set up my gauge dashboards yet but first going to program SW3, rail pressure default stock and timing and tq both at 1 for starters for baselines for a bit and since I still have a stock auto trans. If ater I run this way for a bit and like it may jump to sw5 but need to start somewhere.

post-180-0-87986900-1432392851_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-34335100-1432392899_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-88006600-1432392937_thumb.jpg

Got it programmed and got 1 dashboard set up. I was surprised as It seems to do the ecm update about 2-3 times faster than the smarty hand held units which was my biggest complaint about those things. :thumb1:

Now for the maiden voyage today, going to the in-laws farm to mow and clean up and load up more scrap iron laying around the farm and maybe do some fence mending before 3 more days of rain set in.

LOL!!!! She got a speeding ticket for the first time in years a few days ago, she left town and forgot to look at her gauges until the low fuel dinger and light came on about 5 miles from home so she pulls off the interstate and onto a back road to get home a few miles shorter and she got nailed doing 70 mph in a 55 zone by a young new female recruit to the local county sheriffs dept so she didn't get off with a warning lol. Was only a $15 ticket though.

Got it programmed for the first trial run programmed complete and successful then setup the dashboards all was ok until I wanted to change some ECM programming after driving it a while and now I can not access ECM again to reprogram. Both lower right icons are green so I have communication but I get an error message as follows......

Get ECM parameters failed
Error 70004
ID 7000

Now what???? Strike two!!

BRIAN!!!! Where are you?

Getting frustrated a little bit now, hopefully it is a simple fix I can take care of once I find out, always happens on the weekend too so the wait always makes it worse and now a long weekend to boot with rain predicted for the next 3 days to make one sit inside and stew on it even more. :doh:

On a positive note I have been playing with all the different dashboard gauge setups and found the one I like best finally being one analog and 5 digital displays.

analog is tranny temp

5 digitals are EGT, Engine coolant temp, Engine air intake temp, Boost, Rail pressure actual value.

Had to slow down the refresh rate to medium, the fastest default and even fast made the screen way to busy to watch. :stuned:  :sick:

This morn went out for te heck of it after trying 10 times yesterday, unplugged it from thr OBDII port for a few seconds plugged it back in and tadda now it works again, was able to do reprogram without a hitch. don't know what was the issue but works again now that we slept on it.

I noticed that when I programmed it again this morning I see why I absolutely hated the first tune and was wondering why it shifted bad and it felt like I needed to move the floor boards ahead about 6 more inches.........................I had it on 1/2 power tune for my 140 miles I put on it yesterday, learning curve I guess, thought I had it on SW3 guess not but it is now. I reset the other items to

SW3

Torque - 3

Timing - 1

Rail pressure - 1

waste gate - stock 

Will see how this does in comparison to 1/2 power. :rolleyes:

I think this is about 1 step below how I had it on the JR which was @ level 3 which I think would be SW5 on this thing.

Just got back from my moms grave site, about 100 miles tonight and it is back to its old self again just like it was with the JR only with the ability to set the other items separately it feels a bit more snappy now.. :thumb1:

Have not had gauges in a rig since selling the 02, I was used to seeing 900* as the lowest while daily driving with an average of 1050-1200 pretty common all day long, after 250 miles on the 05 in 2 days have not seen over 950* yet.

• Staff

I noticed that when I programmed it again this morning I see why I absolutely hated the first tune and was wondering why it shifted bad and it felt like I needed to move the floor boards ahead about 6 more inches.........................I had it on 1/2 power tune for my 140 miles I put on it yesterday, learning curve I guess, thought I had it on SW3 guess not but it is now. I reset the other items to

SW3

Torque - 3

Timing - 1

Rail pressure - 1

waste gate - stock 

Will see how this does in comparison to 1/2 power. :rolleyes:

I think this is about 1 step below how I had it on the JR which was @ level 3 which I think would be SW5 on this thing.

Torque is NOT the same on a Touch as it was on the Jr... TQ at 3 on a stock auto as asking to fix it fast...

If your goal is to run lower power for the life of the trans I would try the following. 

SW1

Timing 2/default

RP 1

TQ 1

I think you will get similar power out of SW/Timing2 as SW3/Timing1, but get better mileage and have lower EGT's on SW1 with timing. The timing is the #1 reason to run a Smarty, so IMO running stock timing on a 05 is  :cookoo:  Stock timing is horrible. 

Now you just need to move that pyro probe to the collector... :tongue:

Yeah I noticed this thing is pretty fun to drive with Tq at level 3 just driving it around, figured if I was to hook to a trailer I would back down to level 1 again.

Not too worried about the tranny, I drive by feel anyhow and don't redneck it and @ nearly 120K on it if it dies I am prepared to do some tranny upgrades, I feel that if it has lasted me this long with as heavy as I tow with it I am not too worried it has earned its keep already but at the same time I am not going to purposely abuse it either. :thumb1:

I will keep it @ sw#3 for a while to get a feel for things and a baseline for mileage.

having driven it 3 times so far and getting on it a bit on ramps ect I have yet to break 1000 egt. 960 is tops I have seen. Just cruising it hangs 500-600 range.