• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

PSM / Home depot cold air intake mod with deep pleated filter

There are a few who look at doing different intake systems on 3rd gens and the best for stock to moderately modified 3rd gens is still the OEM air box with an extra deep pleated filter and the cold air mod to the bottom of the box. I also have a PSM cool hose between the box and the turbo to eliminate the baffled thing the OEM used.

Filter I am using is a Wix part # 49946. With the stock depth filter it would pull the restriction gauge up about half way on a brand new filter during normal daily driving, with the extra deep filter the surface area to pull air through is greatly increased and over the years running the extra deep filter have never seen my restriction gauge move even with a dirty "Looking' filter.

Here you can see the bottom of the air box and a view through the tube to the ground and the lower portion of the tube.

post-180-0-04688700-1432393597_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-67559200-1432393657_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-64042500-1432393715_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-47651600-1432393759_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-95148100-1432393799_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good timing Bill! I was planning to start a tread on this subject. [birds of a feather think together!  :stuned: ] did some searching on fri. on the PSM intake [which i like] & found the 'cool hose' as well. The 'cool hose' is on the way as i type! nice! :thumb1:  i had been wondering how to improve the oem intake muffler, i already had gutted the muf. but was not satisfied with the 4'' to 5'' to 4'' step in the 'empty' tube. I also expect this to be much better insulated then the metal piping that some cold air intakes use. I'm still not 100% sure  :think: what i'll be doing about the filter/box.

The S&B cold air filter that i have gets much better recommendations then the K&N  when i asked around. 

Intakes are ''it seems to me'' one of the BIG3 in mods. for many people do on there trucks............ marketing works!, huh??!!

PLEASE remove your silencer ring folks!, the turbo needs to be heard!!  :smart:   :thumb1:  :woot:  :burnout:

• Like 1

• Owner

BHAF could be used but... There is considerable plumbing mods you have to do for a 3rd gen. I would stick yo a deep pleat paper element like what Wild & Free is using for 3rd Gen.

BHAF are suggested for 2nd gen body truck because they just fit everything. Just remove the old air box and clamp on BHAF.

• Staff

Another great option for the intake tube is the AirRaid MIT (Modular Intake Tube). I recommend the MIT because of 2 reasons. The first is that it retains the lower elbow and the 04.5-07's have directional vanes in the lower elbow. I read an article from Holset that said those vanes help the turbo be up to 30% more efficient. The article didn't mention the circumstances where the vanes offer the 30% efficiency increase but thinking about it from an aerodynamic standpoint I would think it is during periods of low turbo rpms, which will improve airflow and spool at throttle changes. The second reason I like the MIT is that is provides the proper taper from the inlet to the exhaust which matches the difference in internal diameter of the stock elbows. 

I run the OEM filter (I hear Wix is the same, or VERY similar but I hate giving money to Wix) and even with ~140 more rwhp than stock, a slightly larger turbo, and a bigger cam I cannot move my filter minder. The OEM filter just plain moves a LOT of air. 

• Like 1

thank-you, JOHN.  are you still using the OEM air 'tube' ? [filter box to turbo] intake muffler still there? i gutted mine , remember, turbo needs to be HEARD! :smart:     my silencer ring is out as well,. i think the turbo's sound is about right!   :thumb1:    :cool:

on my 98 24v i wished i still had my silencer ring , 10 psi boost had an irritating whistle [those dont have the intake muf.] ok for short trips, but long runs.......... :(

I run the OEM filter (I hear Wix is the same, or VERY similar but I hate giving money to Wix) and even with ~140 more rwhp than stock, a slightly larger turbo, and a bigger cam I cannot move my filter minder. The OEM filter just plain moves a LOT of air. 

Is the filter you run the standard depth or a deep pleated filter? I am surprised you do not pull up the filter minder if its a standard depth filter. I have a couple extra restriction gauges and tried them and tried a few different drop in standard depth filters and they all pulled the minder about half ways just normal daily driving it. Since going to the wix deep filter I have never since seen mine move.