• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing Mileage

So, I recently drove from Oklahoma to Colorado only a month later move back across the country from home in Colorado to Arkansas.  It's only temporary for work but hey, I burned a lot a fuel and got to play with my truck.  

Below is the truck and trailer combo, a 28' cargo trailer bought from some great folks in Tulsa.  More info on that in the Garage Section.  

I was quite heavy (for me) on the way to Colorado... somewhere north of 22,000 lbs total.  Heading to Arkansas on the second leg I dropped quite a bit of weight and was under 20,000 lbs.  I fought 50 knot winds on the way to Colorado and ended up getting 8-9 combined MPG for that leg due to fighting winds.  However, on the leg to Arkansas i averaged 11-12mpg with only light winds while crossing Oklahoma.  The truck pulled fine, the ATS trans did good held a steady 140-150 during cruise, the new Industrial single turbo kept EGTs in check except for the short time at 98F when the intercooler just didn't do the job and I had to drop down into 3rd for a while as EGT passed 1250F.  I did end up removing the edge comp and just cruising on the Smarty as it seemed like for my truck it drove better that way.  Nothing against the Edge, but it worked. 

My question to you all is what kind of mileage are you getting and what speeds/weights are you running?  Due to time constraints I ran 65 rather than 55 for most of my trips.  

image_url-573-1431223819.jpg

• Owner
post-1-0-87730900-1434907881_thumb.jpg post-1-0-26152600-1434907884_thumb.jpg post-1-0-45714500-1433553307_thumb.jpg post-1-0-87336500-1428865107_thumb.jpg

My beast it weighs in about 8,000 pounds but 31 foot long. So far in all the travel I've done with it here in the state. I typically set the cruise for 55-60 MPH and vary between 11-14 MPG. Typically when I'm hitch to the RV I'm in no hurry at all. So climbing grades typically I back down to 3rd gear. I've done a few time pushing hard in 4th and barely keep it around 1,100*F over 7% grades. But I'm in a no hurry mode with the RV so speeds are typically like I said 55-60 MPH. My last trip to St. Maries Idaho I varied 11-13 MPG. Being the first day I was in winds most of the day heading north. Then 2nd day it was milder and calmer. But mostly twisty highways and tight corners pulled 13 MPG. 3rd day leg home I kick the cruise for 60 MPH and climbed the last leg home at barely 11 MPG. There is also the ST tire factor also water factor. Most all ST tires are only rated to 65 MPH also my water tank 50 gallons is at the very rear of the trailer so a full water tank typically adds a bit of wag to the tail for me. Again I'm in no hurry.

EDIT...

GCW is ~16,800 pounds.

• Staff

I pull most grades at 55-60, sometimes a little faster but generally not. Where I can on the flats I do 68-71 as it pulls better than at 65 due to the rpms. 

10.25 ± 0.5 is what I typically get but have seen in the 11's a time or two. 

I am generally 18.5K-20K but have a LOT of wind resistance going on. 

Without the quads but a heavier trailer (21K GCW) I get 11-13 depending on elevation change doing 60. 

With the camper and no quads, around 17-18K GCW, I get 11-14 depending on elevation change and speed. 

post-249-0-91784400-1434978327_thumb.jpg

• Staff

That's my truck and camper  (back and white) camped next to Mopar Man in last pic. With automatic trans hauling around 3500 lbs, I'm getting 14-15 0n the flats but drive easy at about 60 mph.

post-1-0-87336500-1428865107.jpg

last week i went on vacation in colorado. i drove from Flagstaff AZ, to cortez then rico, camped a night then headed to Silverton by way of Telluride. with the wife, 2 kids and dog. the trailer if around 13K with my Can-Am Commander in the back. headed up i get just over 10 mpg curze set at 68. headed home i got 11.3 mpg. wife drove half way home at around 55-60 mph.

im an 04 auto, 48re with 285-70-17 tires.

i tried the edge on 2 (tow) and off. i saw zero difference in MPG's most of the time i have the edge off and used it for gauges.

I carry a slide in camper that weights in close to 4k.  Traveled to Florida and to upper Michigan on two different trips using the gen 2 truck.  Trip to Florida I had mileage from a low of 9.8 (coming back through Texas up to Kansas with a stiff headwind all the way) to a high of 15.3.  Sometimes I pull a boat (double axle trailer) with the camper on but it doesn't seem to cost me any noticeable mpg's when I have the camper on.  The drag comes from the barn door effect I'm pushing down the road.  I usually drive 60 to 62 mph except when pulling a hill I keep my boost to 10-12lbs or less so speeds drop down to 47 to 50 mph.

On the trip to Michigan my low was 11 and my high was 16.2 with the camper on. Ditto on the speeds.

With the camper on the gen 3 truck I haven't made any long cross country trips but go to the mountains  around Northern Idaho and have achieved 13.8 on the low side to 14.6 on the high end.  Again, the few times when I pull the boat  I haven't been able to see any loss of mpg's because the camper is such a barn door and the boat just hides behind the door. Speeds maintained as above

post-558-0-93399000-1434992443_thumb.jpg                                          post-558-0-08549700-1434992542_thumb.jpg

Edited by War Eagle
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.  It is interesting to see what everyone gets.  I am not too far off.  

I also recently changed and went back to a stock profile tire (and will be removing my levelling kit) and I found the truck to be much more drivable than it was with 34.5s or whatever they were.  I can turn the wheel easier, the power steering has oomph again... its nice.  

• Staff

Since you changed my injection pump Mike, my mileage has gone up. Lie-O-meter is showing high numbers on cruise control on the flats. Never seen it show a steady 25 miles to the gallon before going. Of course I only use it for comparisons as I know it's off but nice to see anyway.

One more note is I've found the fuel to be much better quality at those private filling stations. Truck accepts higher gears sooner than usual, and fuel is lasting longer.

I have a feeling they are selling us paint thinner at the public places. I know it isn't right because the better quality diesel makes my truck come alive. Feels like a powerful hunk of steel by comparison.